close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GMR Report 10/16/08

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by QueticoMike, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Well it was the Good, the Bad and the Ugly last night fishing.
    The Good: caught fish
    The Bad: lost some fish
    The Ugly: lost a really nice one

Went fishing after work again last night and basically covered the same stretch as the I did on the 15th. Drove 3 miles up river, walked a half mile back and then worked the river back to my truck. I finally retired the zulu I had been using all week, it was still serviceable, but it had seen it's day. So with a new zulu tied on I was ready to strike the river and see if I could match what I did on the 15th. It took a few casts but I finally got into a 14 incher close to shore next to a fallen tree. It had those ugly black splotches on it and only had one good eye, but it still fought like a 14 incher. As I continue to work this hole I catch another decent 14 incher, followed up with a 14 inch saugeye that wasn't much bigger than a polish sausage in girth. I saw the saugeye hit the the lure and then retreat, only to come back and grab it again, one cool thing about the crystal clear river is being able to see things like this. So things are starting out pretty well for me, I'm thinking the fish are still biting like the day before. The wind is blowing hard out of the north and my hands are little chilled, nothing like the day before when I was sweating on my walk back to the truck when the sun was going down. But the fish seemed to be biting so who cares how windy or cold it is. Then I hook into a decent fish and lose it because I don't think I was concentrating, I was thinking about something else when the fish hit my lure and it was gone as fast as it came. A few minutes later, the same thing happens, another nice rod bender that just comes off. Then to top things off I see a smallmouth about 12 inches grab my zulu from me about 10 feet away, I watch the fish swim to the right with my lure and set the hook, only to have this fish come off. So now I've caught 3 and missed 3, not doing so well here. I continue to fish this hole hard but I have no more bites. I move onto hole #2 which is about 150 yards or more up the river. The first cast a fish about rips the pole out of my hands, the drag starts screaming and I can only imagine what I have hooked. Then I see this big smallmouth clear the water. I then, like an idiot start horsing this fish in. It comes out of the water again. I get the fish about 10 feet from me and I either pull the hook out of its mouth or it spits it out, however you want to look at it, I lost the fish. I think if I would have played it a little more I might have caught it. It was easily the biggest smallmouth I had on this week, it was at least over 18 inches from what I saw. So now I'm just kicking myself. What do you do..... make another cast. So a few casts later, I hook into another nice fish about 15 or 20 feet from me and this fish pulls off as well and I get another glimpse of the fish as it swims off. Another nice one missed. So now I've only caught 3 and have missed 5, 4 for sure were really good if not excellent fish. Getting kind of down on myself now for missing so many. Then finally about 10 minutes later I hook one and get it to shore, its a really nice fish as well and measures out slightly over 17 inches. Now I don't feel bad about missing that really big one. Oh, who am I kidding, I'm still pissed. That ended up being the only fish from hole #2. I move up river about 100 yards or more to hole #3. I caught my longest smallmouth out of this hole in July, a 20.5 inch smallie on a black buzz bait, but the last 3 times I've hit this spot I haven't faired very well. So I fish this spot pretty hard and only come away with a little rockbass. So now that makes me even caught 5 and missed 5. So onto hole #4 before it gets dark, it's another 100 yards or so to the next hole. I cast for while and get nothing. I'm about ready to give up when I finally hook into a good one, it comes out of the water like a tarpon, tailwalking the river from left to right and then it happens again, the fish pulls off. Lost another nice fish at least 15 inches big. My hook point looks fine, I guess these fish are too strong and smart for me tonight:) I throw a few more casts and end up catching my only smallie dink of the evening. Now I have to head back to the truck before it gets too dark to see. So I ended up catching 6 and missing 6. I would have gladly traded the 6 I caught for the 6 I missed. At least I know those fish are still in there waiting for me to try and catch them again.

2. As usual, nice detailed report. Thanks.

3. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

The zulu does it's job well.
    I think working a fish hard vs gently brings 'em in more efficiently. Take too much time trying to finesse the fight and the hook will just wear a hole and fall out. In other words,put the wood to 'em ,get 'em in and back in the water,just my$.02,TC1

4. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

I second TC1's advice....I dont mess around!

5. LMRsmallmouth

You should take some pics for our enjoyment....seems like you are catching 18"ers every trip....must be nice

6. I wish I would have caught that one over 18 inches last night, but my biggest one was slightly longer than 17 inches. I've only caught 4 fish (smallies) out the river this year 18 inches or better. I don't have a digital camera, but I could take my waterproof 35mm camera with me, but that's a lot to drag around with me while I'm wading. Plus it would take a long time to catch 27 of them before I got the film developed. I do have a cheap disposable I could take along and hope it doesn't get wet and take some pictures of the fish lying on the ground, but I think the picture would look better if I was in it and you could tell how big it is:) I wish I had someone with me to take pictures of me and my fish. My buddy who goes to Quetico with me gets tired of it. I have just been lucky enough to get into some good sized ones lately and hope to catch some more this evening. I measure most every fish that looks to be 14 inches or over. I think if you catch one over 16 inches on an outing it's a really good day! This is the best time of the year for big fish, so get out there now.

7. LMRsmallmouth

I am out every week all year long, winter too. I just dont post much anymore hehe.
    I have had quite a few over 18 this year with the biggest being 19.5 (this year), it is nice having the measuring tape on the side of the Yak. I take pics of mine with my cell phone and email them to my email account. I used to bring my digital camera until I learned that trick. 1.3 megapixels is good enough from my phone for me. I too think anything over 16 is nice, anything over 18 is a bragger, and 20" the PIG mark!

yes this is a good time for big fish, but I wouldn't say the best....I prefer prespawn for the HAWGS