close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GMR Pike 8-5-07

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by SConner, Aug 5, 2007.

1. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Got out today in kayaks with a friend. Had a decent day with the small mouth, but the treat of the day was a 30" Pike caught on Rebel Craw. This thing towed my kayak around a still hole for a while before I was able to land. With no net and no gloves, this was a little tuff. Link below takes you to picture. There should also be a picture of fish being released.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=27266

2. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

Nice fish.... what a ride!!! bet you had a blast...congrats

3. Muskie Hunter

Muskie Hunter All Species Trophy Hunter

Great looking fish. Bet that was a blast landing him. Thanks for releasing that fish; I release all pike I catch as well in order to ensure the future of the species in the river. Hopefully we will see some fish in the mid to upper 30" range soon.

I didn't get out to the river this weekend; I hope to get out this week.

Good Fishing,
    John

4. w00t! I bet that was a blast.... I can just imagine the adrenaline level going up.... All the thoughts through the head... Will my line hold? How many times did I loop my knots? What lb test do I have on this pole? Please, please let me land this fish.... hahaha

5. Congrats Scott. Nice pic.

6. does anyone know where the damn in troy is for the GMR

7. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

tobakabus - It's like you were reading my mind!

8. bowhunter ..... right behind Miami Shores public golf course. North of where Rt 41 crosses over the river, south of the Market St Bridge in Troy. Just know this spot gets very heavy fishing pressure at times.

9. I'd like to float a section of the upper GMR, Stillwater, or Mad River next week with my son-in-law, but need to find a section that has some shade because he has a medical condition that temporarily prohibits him from getting too much sun. Can any of you suggest particular sections of the GMR, Mad, or Stillwater that have some shadey sections? Thanks for any advice

10. i have fished the stillwater at the west milton park. and below the englewood dam, both offer a lot of shade. my choise between the 2 would be west milton at the park at the corner of 48 and 571, great stretch of river;)

11. The Majority of each of these river is line heavilly with trees to offer shade. try goin in the early mornig or in the evening when the sunn is lowest. this is also the best time to be fishing anyway. Its not as hot either. good luck and let us know how you do!

By the way Great lookin g Pike Scott! I'll bet it was a blast in a kayak!!

12. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Yakfish - Have you run into the toothy guys in your area? How's the smallies been for you?

13. where are most the northens coming out of on the GMR? I miss going north to catch those mean rascals, an wouldn't mind finding a few down here.

14. I've caught pike all up and down the GMR. They are very scattered. Usually I will pick up a pike on just about every float while I'm fishing for smallmouth.

15. Looking at my maps from the Miami Conservancy District, the stretch of the Stillwater from W Milton south looks to have several dams at the Montgomery County line. Any idea how many river miles there are from W Milton to the dam at Englewood? Where would you suggest we take out if we put in at W. Milton? - Thanks to all who have replied