close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GMR on Sunday morning

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by flybywags, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Hey guys, I was planning on hitting up the GMR on Sunday morning early (being Catholic is great because we can go to church Saturday night). If any one wants to go I was probably going to go either up to Sidney or go ghetto fishing near UD. Send me a PM if you want to go. Also, if you have been out recently, what seems to be working out there? Thanks all, good luck and have fun.

-Wags

2. For cats - goldfish. Big ones.

For anything else, someone else might know because I've been on a big cat kick for the last 2 or 3 weeks. I'm also about 50 miles downstream from ya too though.

3. I was going for smallies mostly, but I have never even thought about using goldfish as bait for cats. I will have to try that some time. Thanks.

-Wags

4. from carrilon park (on that side of the river) all the way down to the dam is good for smallies. there a really good spot just accross from the marriot hotel where a storm outlet is, but te homeless( along with their 40oz'ers)have pretty much taken it over:D

5. shadesplace

shadesplace Game Champion

If you are going for smallies use inline spinners Good luck

6. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

Good colors have been olive back/chartreuse belly,black back/ silver belly,crawdad,purple and black.Water is clear for the gmr right now(the rain made it clearer) and though I normally fish stuff in the 4-6" range in the gmr I'm downsizing and getting better results on 3-3 1/2" sizes as the fish are more wary in the low, clear water.
    Be there before the sun is all the way up for your biggest saugeye.
    TC1

7. Muskie Hunter

Muskie Hunter All Species Trophy Hunter

It is hard to beat a shallow diver model A crankbait, or any shallow diving crankbait that dives 2-4 feet. If I am targeting bigger smallies, I like a big willowleaf spinnerbait (Pike tear them up too). But this works best in slower moving water, and deeper water. Overall for numbers, hard to beat a small crankbait, esp. if you are fishing the river for the first time between Sidney and Piqua. Water probably averages 2-3 feet. Are you drifting a boat, or wading? If you are drifting, you will have to get out of the boat in certain parts. In deeper holes and slower moving water, tube jigs and plastic worms/lizards are good baits too.

Good Fishing,
    John

8. good ol ghetto fishing. i fish that strech all the time. rubber crawlers such as KnEs work good 2. and if all els fails bring your whole coronal corn

9. Thanks for the advice. Went up to sidney and did okay. Couple smallies, nothing with any real good size. Road runner seemed to have the most success. I just ran it onm the bottom banging it of rocks and it worked wonders, as it usually does.

I also stopped by a place I had never been. Madison Lakes Park. Interesting place. Lots of water and on the big lake there, I have never seen clearer water. Also, tons of hornwart all throughout the bottom. Any one ever fish here? I didn't catch a thing, But i don't think I was in exactly the right spot. A ton of people there too.

Thanks for the help again though, good luck out there and have fun.

-Wags