Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was planning on hitting up the GMR on Sunday morning early (being Catholic is great because we can go to church Saturday night). If any one wants to go I was probably going to go either up to Sidney or go ghetto fishing near UD. Send me a PM if you want to go. Also, if you have been out recently, what seems to be working out there? Thanks all, good luck and have fun.

-Wags

·
Registered
95 Posts
what seems to be working out there?
For cats - goldfish. Big ones.

For anything else, someone else might know because I've been on a big cat kick for the last 2 or 3 weeks. I'm also about 50 miles downstream from ya too though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going for smallies mostly, but I have never even thought about using goldfish as bait for cats. I will have to try that some time. Thanks.

-Wags

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
from carrilon park (on that side of the river) all the way down to the dam is good for smallies. there a really good spot just accross from the marriot hotel where a storm outlet is, but te homeless( along with their 40oz'ers)have pretty much taken it over:D

·
Game Champion
95 Posts
If you are going for smallies use inline spinners Good luck

·
Registered
527 Posts
Good colors have been olive back/chartreuse belly,black back/ silver belly,crawdad,purple and black.Water is clear for the gmr right now(the rain made it clearer) and though I normally fish stuff in the 4-6" range in the gmr I'm downsizing and getting better results on 3-3 1/2" sizes as the fish are more wary in the low, clear water.
Be there before the sun is all the way up for your biggest saugeye.
TC1

·
All Species Trophy Hunter
241 Posts
It is hard to beat a shallow diver model A crankbait, or any shallow diving crankbait that dives 2-4 feet. If I am targeting bigger smallies, I like a big willowleaf spinnerbait (Pike tear them up too). But this works best in slower moving water, and deeper water. Overall for numbers, hard to beat a small crankbait, esp. if you are fishing the river for the first time between Sidney and Piqua. Water probably averages 2-3 feet. Are you drifting a boat, or wading? If you are drifting, you will have to get out of the boat in certain parts. In deeper holes and slower moving water, tube jigs and plastic worms/lizards are good baits too.

Good Fishing,
John

·
Registered
37 Posts
good ol ghetto fishing. i fish that strech all the time. rubber crawlers such as KnEs work good 2. and if all els fails bring your whole coronal corn

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice. Went up to sidney and did okay. Couple smallies, nothing with any real good size. Road runner seemed to have the most success. I just ran it onm the bottom banging it of rocks and it worked wonders, as it usually does.

I also stopped by a place I had never been. Madison Lakes Park. Interesting place. Lots of water and on the big lake there, I have never seen clearer water. Also, tons of hornwart all throughout the bottom. Any one ever fish here? I didn't catch a thing, But i don't think I was in exactly the right spot. A ton of people there too.

Thanks for the help again though, good luck out there and have fun.

-Wags

1 - 9 of 9 Posts