Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went back this evening to the pool where I hooked and lost what would have been my PB Ohio smallie. It is a long pool about a 1/4 mile long between riffles with a long stretch of deep (7-16 feet) water. One bank is lined with rocks and more shallow water and the other bank is loaded with laydown trees and deeper water. Three days ago I had hooked (and lost) a dozen or so bass along here and caught a few half decent fish. Tonight after the rain quite I decided I would go back to see if I could find my monster. Water levels were unchanged after todays rain and visibility was nearly the same. When I got there it was a comfortable 79 degrees and when I left it was 72. A perfect evening to be on the water. Water temps were 76 degrees when I left. I started out throwing a spinner bait and after about a half hour with no interest I switched to the fluke I had been using. A few minutes later I see a fish take a swipe at my bait but fail to find the hook. It looked like a decent fish in the 14 inch range. That was the only action I had with the fluke so I switched again. This time I tied on a black and gold colored Husky Jerk As I was casting to a lone tree on the rocky bank about 300 yards down stream from where I lost my "Moby Dick" I see a 15 inch smallie following my bait and watch as it takes a swipe about 6 feet in front of the bow of the kayak but miss the hooks again. So I make another cast to the same place as before. This time I have another fish hit the lure this time it was only about a foot in front of my bow! I couldn't tell right away how good this fish was until it starts tearing line off my spool! The fish didn't want to come near the surface and stayed deep the whole time. I thought I must have a channel cat on the end of my line. As I start to get this fish closer I see a large flash of bronze as he sees the side of the yak and makes another run! I got the fish closer and this time I can see he s barely hooked in the lower lip by one single point of the rear treble. With my luck of loosing quality fish recently I was very careful bring this one over the side of the yak. This fish wasn't the monster that broke my heart 3 days ago and has had me day dreaming of hooking him ever since but it was a very nice fish indeed. I put him on my measuring board to see his tail fall on about 17.75 inches. That was my only fish landed tonight but it was nice to see how good the smallmouth population in the pool is. Lots of "quality" fish in a relatively small area. Looking forward to going back soon maybe tomorrow or the weekend if everything works out!

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Yakfish.....those are nice smallies.... Please do me a favor and keep posting on your hunt for the monster that got away... Reading your posts is so cool..like a great book that I'm waiting on reading the next chapter! You gotta get that fish!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Solid fish sir! That pool will most likely only grow a denser population of big bronze as the temps cool due to its deep water and abundance of structure. Do keep us informed of your progress throughout the late season as you pick that hole apart.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

1 - 5 of 5 Posts