close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GMR Monday 6-11

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by SConner, Jun 11, 2007.

1. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

2. Good looking fish, congrats on the catch :)

I know this topic gets old quick, but at first glance, that looks like a walleye to me. Granted, I can't see the spiny dorsal fin in the pic. Beautiful fish either way, I love catching any of the 3 in SW Ohio waters.

3. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

GlacierDropsy - I've seen so many post on trying to tell the difference I decided to quit trying. They telling me the chances of catching a walleye in this area are slim so I just assume they are all saugeye. Great fun either way.

4. All I have ever caught around Cincy is sauger in the lower parts of the LMR, and 1 saugeye in cowan that picked up a crawler when I was looking for cats. This link is helpful, but it cant ID the fish in that pic. I only say walleye b/c I dont see any camo, but without being able to see the gill plate and spiny D fin, can't be too certain. And don't believe anyone that tells you there are no walleye around SW OH, they are native to the ohio river, and do travel into the tribs. I'm still looking for my first Cincy Walleye :p

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/content/download/7063/34347/file/

5. your fish is a nice saugeye, but very dark and does look like a walleye. Glacier, the gmr is very different from the lmr where sconnor fishes, you are 100% correct about the lmr, but that part of the gmr is many miles up river from the ohio, above several dams, and the gmr has many times the saugeye stocked into the system than does the lmr. in the lower gmr the sauger are much more prevelant up to halmilton, above the first dam however they become much less common though they are native to the entire strech of the river
    as for that cincy walleye they are getting easier to come by each year, keep trying the areas you are fishing, at night, or during the day with black grubs (black for some reason catches more walleye) oh and release the walleye back into the river, go catch saugeye from if you are gonna keep fish..please
    goodluck:)

6. For what it's worth - my uncle used to catch walleye in the GMR pretty regularly until the mid 80's. Not sure why he stopped - either they gave up on him or he gave up on them, but the population was there at one point.

7. we still catch them there every fall when we fish it for eyes, they make up about a quarter of the bigger (20in+) fish we catch in the gmr

8. that fish looks to be a walleye....It is dark in that picture..maybe its the glare.....?? I have also caught a good amount of walleye in combination of the LMR and GMR