close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GMR/LMR smallie fishing

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by tommy454, Aug 5, 2008.

1. tommy454

tommy454 Fishaholic

Looking for some tips a smallmouth fishing on the rivers, I have fished the GMR around Middletown and only caught a few dinks on Berkly grubs on a jig. Whats the best rig for fishing currents? I have thrown spinners below dams without much luck. Should I be in the heavy currents or just swirling water etc.

2. in-line spinners are a good start. Don't give up on this presentation.

rebel craws are a good second go to bait.

minnow type shallow running crank baits are really good now.

3.5" dark green tubes ..... deadly if you can locate the big ones. Takes patience to fish these of course.

Target where the slack water meets the current (the "line" you'll see in the water) .... and concentrait on places with rocks, if the bottom has no rocks there will be no smallies. Look for the water boils for big rock structure not visible in the current.

Most fish won't sit right in the fast current, some will tho' - small ones, the energy to reward (food) ratio is too poor there.

3. Ajax

Ajax Rapala Snagger

I like fishing with minnow crankbaits when fishing these two rivers because if you aren't catching smallies you can catch saugeye or anything else for that matter. I caught a nice channel on a crank last week. When the sun begins to set I change my presentation to slowly fish the crank topwater. Crankbaits are less likely to get snagged on the bottom as well. I do well with inline spinners and curly tailed grub jigs but when I'm hiking down the river with limited tackle I usually stick with a crankbait.

4. Cordon

Cordon The Last Don

The lure to use in the LMR is a YUM Crawbug rigged on a weedless standup jig. Its bar none the best bait to use. I know I will get reprimanded by the LMR fisherman for giving up the secret bait, but I know others have recommended it before!!! As for the color...........come on I can't give everything away........

Here is a little chunker I caught last night on the bug...Fished directly in the current....Also got a few other smaller ones, along with two small sauger.

Not bad for an hour or so on the river....

Attached Files:

5. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

Cordon.....where would you get such an Idea....crawbugs dont catch anything in the LMR :)

6. Cordon

Cordon The Last Don

I am not sure, but I think a Simon champion may have mentioned it once!!!!!;)

7. Haven't tried the Yum crawbug yet, but have been tearing up the smallies with the Bomber A on the LMR.

8. tommy454

tommy454 Fishaholic

Thanks for the tips guys, appreciate it, I will get out friday and give it a whirl. Does anyone CarolIna rig to get the bait up a bit off the bottom, or is the jig head the way to go, I'm guessing 1/2oz if the current is strong?

Thanks again.

I'm hoping to get better at Bass fishing I am pretty new at it, I mostly fish for cats and crappie.

9. If you're using a jig 1/2 is too much IMO. If you are fishing in the LMR, I wouldn't go higher then 1/8 oz. If you're fishing in the GMR I wouldn't go higher than a 3/8 if you using tube and tails.

10. tommy454

tommy454 Fishaholic

I'm canoeing the LMR tomarrow morning from Ft. Ancient down, the 6 mile trip. Is this a good stretch for smallies? My son and I will be on the river as soon as they open at Morgans. If anyone will be out that way look for a guy in a STEELERS shirt! I know probably all Benglas fans here, but we all have our faults, I forgive you!