GMR in Troy

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by RNeiswander, Aug 12, 2008.

1. I fished around the 41 bridge today from about 5 to 7, only caught 3 smallies, all small, and a pretty big rock bass, maybe 10", had a 12" smallie jump and throw the hook, i guess its a bad day when your biggest fish is a rock bass lol

2. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

I doubt the tournament fishermen do much better in number of fish per hour. Ten inch rock bass isn't small.

Sometimes the long shallow stretches in rivers can have good sized smallies - all it takes is a good sized rock with a little bit deeper water behind it, even if its only a little over knee deep. A hole the size of a refrigerator can have several good fish.

3. One of my sons was fishing close to there earlier in the day. They caught 5-6 channels. Nightcrawler under a float. They said they saw some other kids with a stringer loaded with crappie.

4. I don't know why you would eat fish out of there. I did it once and never again they tasted terrible. they seem to take on the taste of the river. not very good.

5. My kids didn't bring the channels home. But I have eaten several saugeye I have caught in Troy and they tasted better than the walleye I have caught in the Maumee and a hell of alot cheaper:)

6. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

I like the saugeye. I sometimes give the catfish to my mother-in-law.

According to this ODNR advisory, i guess we should only eat saugeye once per month:

http://www.epa.state.oh.us/dsw/fishadvisory/counties/Miami.html

I had to look this up, a gal my wife works with claimed she wouldn't eat fish out of the river because there used to be a nuclear plant in Piqua. There is a fair amt of industry along the river, i guess thats where they could get the PCBs/mercury.

7. Well thats pretty much the same advisory for the whole state. Except for those ocassional saugeye I solely eat AEP bluegill/bass and florida crappie when my parents return in the spring. I think the river in Troy is still better than the water they raise those talapia in china in.

8. I sometimes eat my saugeyes out of Troy and they taste fine to me!

9. Ive eaten a lot of fish from the river up that way. Mostly gills and crappie, a few cats and they all tasted good i go the extra mile to clean em thou.

10. Well the kids had a heck of a day at the river. They started down by the 41 bridge. They ended up catching 12 channels, one that was 24 inches and they lost one that was bigger. They then went up to the dam and caught a 18 inch smallie. Thought it sounded like a good day. The river looks like a stream with the dam open, probally what it was like for Simon Kenton and Tecumseh back in the day.

11. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

The river above the dam looks almost dried up. I should try wading below the Mkt St bridge; my son lost a $100 skateboard there a couple of years back. I assume he was trying to impress his friends with a fancy maneuver, and the board went airborne off the bridge.

If its still there, its pretty well trashed!

12. That board in probably in the Ohio river by now. :p

I drove over it this morning, looks ankle deep in many spots.