close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GMR in troy area

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by madcrappiekids, Aug 6, 2008.

1. looking for a launch ramp and the best water for a jon boat....any help? I read several posts about the 41 ramp and other area's but since I am not familiar with the area I thought a map would help....thanks for the info - might be heading that way on Friday morning if all goes well-

Attached Files:

2. better map....

Attached Files:

3. Mad They currently have the dam open in troy and the water level is really low. You would probally be better off wearing some old tennis shoes and wade. I would concentrate on the waters south of the dam to the 41 bridge. Maybe Sconner has some better information.

4. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

Are you planning to float downriver, and is the boat light enough to pick up and carry?

On your map, where Rte 41 crosses the river, you can park on the s.e. side of the bridge, but you have to carry your boat to the water. If you want to float downstream, there is a boat ramp on n.e. side of Tipp City on Tipp-Cowlesville Rd (it might be work to get through some riffles in a jonboat though.)

There is a boat ramp in Troy, i believe, behind a Japanese restaurant:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&i...048319,-84.212049&iwstate1=dir:to&iwloc=A&f=d

(Take I-75 N to Rte 41 east, turn left at Marathon station (elm st), its about a half mile on the right.)

but, there is a dam downstream of that, below the Market St bridge. If you want to go up to Piqua, there is also a launch ramp at the boat & ski club. Someone else will chime in here.

5. Behind the Bennet Middle School there in Piqua, off Main St. There is a ramp there. But fishing ins't so hot in that stretch outside of a few bridge pilons. Most pea gravel or mud on the bottom, not much moving water.

6. Boat ramp in Troy is not available when the dam is out. All mud.

7. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

A friend of mine did float from 41 down to Tipp the other friday, in a car top boat with his kids. I think its doable in a jon boat w/two reasonably fit adults willing to hop out and maneuver the boat now and then.

8. hmm, thanks for the info, i'll have to look and see what i can come up with. so far the best option is old shoes! I can do that! Just want to see about getting some river smallies for something different.

9. as long as there is no comlete dry the boat has been floated through about 6-8 inches of water.

10. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Madcrappie - As others mentioned, since gates on dam were lifted, water levels are pretty low and fishing has been just so/so. If you do come up, I would go with the old sneaker recommendation, park in the gravel just to east of rt 41 bridge and wade in either direction. Also on rt 571 east of Tipp there is some decent spots you can wade to. I don't know how much help I am on baits since I use small crank baits almost exclusively but listed are a few things myself or others have done well with.

Inline spinner - Chartruese
    Tubes
    Floating or suspending Rapala minnows
    Rebel Wee Craw
    Jig with curly tail

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

11. It appears that the USGS water data is working again for the Troy dam. That may be why they opened the gates. What I want to know is how the heck they lift those gates. I would imagine they have to drive some sort of heavy equipment into the water.

12. Whats funny is if you go to Whio website there is a story about a rescue in Troy. Well some kid tried to walk out on the mud at the boat ramp and got stuck up to his waist.

13. SC - cranks are good, seems the common river bait is the wee reble craw, guess i need to go shopping because i don't have one of those - thanks for the input

14. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Walmart - $4