close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GMR Hamilton Area Question

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Cat~n~Crappie, Aug 20, 2004.

1. I was told there is a boat ramp above the Hamilton D*m...anyone have directions to this location? Me and a buddy of mine plan on hitting the GMR Sunday to do a little cattin and wanted to try a different section of the river. Also if there is a ramp here, does anyone know of any local bait shops in that area?

And lastly a question on shiners.... do shiners stay alive a fairly decent amount of time? We usually get our live bait the evening before we go out fishing (we usually hit the rivers around 3 am) and we keep our bait in a large 40 gallon tank, just wondering if shiners would last that long? I have never used shiners, usually use goldfish, isrealies, and gills....but I have been getting different reports that the flatties have been working the shiners over..
    Thanks for the help in advance!
    Cat~n~Crappie

2. ScottB

ScottB SW Ohio

I'm not sure if this is the one you're talking about but there is a ramp on the west side of the river about 1/2 mile above the "new" damn in Hamilton on 128 (Hamilton Cleves Rd). I have never used it but it is just south of the Pershing Ave. bridge. I'm pretty sure it is a free, public ramp.

Mary and Clydes carry out \bait shop is real close on B Street. After you cross the Pershing Ave bridge instead of turning left and going to the ramp, turn right on B street and go up 3 or 4 blocks.

I don't know how good this section of river is for cattin'. To the south is the new damn and the north is the old damn. Everything in between is pretty much downtown Hamilton. We used to catch a lot of smallmouth and small channels below the old damn. Good Luck

3. Be careful if you use that boat ramp. Last year, some guys were trying out a new boat. The engine failed and they went over the dam resulting in the drowning deaths of two men. Be careful!

4. catking

catking Banned

The trick to keeping shiners alive for a few days is get them the night before you go fishing like you stated. Keep them in a minnowbucket with an ariator. The water will warm very slowly, thus by the time you use them for bait, they stay alive , even in the warmer waters of lakes. If you buy them at the bait shop on the way , and dunk them in a lake/river, they die almost instantly.I do this all the time, and my shinners, some up to 6", stay alive for days. I was keeping a plastic garbage can on the shade side of my house with an air supply. The water never gets cold like bait shops do for shiners. I've had them stay alive for a week or so like this. The key is the water temps..CATKING

5. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

There is a large chunk of something just inches below the water in the middle of the river. I am not sure if it is a wingdam, as we have passed on both sides of this obstruction in years past. We did manage to ram into it one night a few years back, and there is definitely 2 ends to it. It is about 10 or so feet across, and angles slightly down into the bottom, meaning one end is a few inches below the surface, while the other end is a foot or 2 below the surface. It is very hard, and solid, like a very large and squared off rock, or maybe a large chunk of concrete washed out from somewhere upriver. I don't see how its possible, but water is very powerful when it is up. Don't speed through there at all.

6. Thanks for all the info everyone.

We made it to the river about 6 am Sunday morning armed with Live Shiners/Goldfish/Gills/and Shad, also had frozen cut shad. We found the boat ramp above the old dam in Combs park (thanks for the excellent directions catfishhunter).

Didn't have a whole lot of luck, managed 3 cats.... 2.9lb channel, 4.9lb channel and a 3lb flattie. We fished until about 3 pm. Was hoping the water level would be down slightly so we could visually locate the "wing dam or what ever it might be" but we didnt see any signs of it. Would have liked to have tried fishing around it, next time out we will troll around the middle of the river and see if we can locate it.

Seen about 6 other boats out on this stretch of the river...not used to boat traffic like this on the GMR up in the Miamisburg area.

Was a good area to fish and a good day to be out fishing, we will be back again soon to give it another try..

Cat~n~Crappie

7. catking

catking Banned

Thanks for the follow up post ;) Glad to see you guys get out. Better luck next time........ THE CATKING !!!