close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GMR flatheads? Anyone have a recent report?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Rooster, Aug 10, 2004.

1. I’m planning on hitting the GMR here in Cincinnati for some flatheads tomorrow after work. Is the bite still on? I’ve read conflicting reports. I have been looking over maps all day at work, and I think that I have found a good spot to try. I will do a little recon after work today, and should be ready tomorrow. Yep, I’ve got the flathead fever BAD! :D

2. You know that you have the fever BAD when you are responding to your own posts!

A co-worker who doesn’t even fish gave me another potential spot. She said that her father used to catch some big cats near the Harrison Rd. Bridge. Anyone ever fish the GMR at the Harrison Rd. Bridge? Is there a safe place to park? Thanks!

3. Rooster -

I don't have any GMR info. to offer, but I think the GMR regulars are darn right afraid to post anything at this point.(and rightfully so)

I know you are a C & R guy, but the regulars who do not personally know that you are C & R are very hesitant to give out any spots. I think with all the recent reports of big Flats being pulled out of the GMR, pm's are a good alternative to posting on the main forum.

so come on GMR guys - Rooster is all C & R on these Flats; help him out via pm. :D

4. yeah, its decent, there is alot of big rocks in the water there, thats were the bridge fell in and killed all the poeple years ago, but you will be dealing with a lot of locals, !!!!!!!!, hould be plenty of room to park down there too.

5. Thanks Cowboy, but I think that I will take a pass on the locals! LOL I already fish too many spots that are over crowded, and need a little elbow room.

Your right Fish-N-Fool, my preoccupation and eagerness to catch some flatheads has come at a bad time. I am very aware about the dangers of posting too much information on the Internet!

6. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

I drew a blank last night fishing from 7 till 11. 1 good run, hook doubled back into the bait and I missed it. river raper was nowhere to be seen. Will keep an eye out.

7. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

river raper probably got them all.

8. I caught 3 small flats last night. Bite didn't turn on until 11:30. Caught a 3#, 7#, and an 8. I hooked two that were much better and both threw the hook. I need to evaluate how I'm playing my fish. :mad:

9. Fished from 7:00pm to 10:00pm without a bite. STRIKE TWO! I might try the same spot on Sunday morning (before dawn).

10. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

fished from 7 til 10:30. 3 runs total, 2 quit quickly, hooked onefish, not too big , made a quick and surprising move toward the bank and instantly sheared my line off on the rocks. lesson learned. Punk a$$ river raper was down there with another kid, 6 poles at least between the 2 of them. didn't see him catch anything. Got dropped off again, no car to be seen. I left before he did. Gettin harder and harder to bite my tongue, esecially when he makes fires at 7 in the evening and I get smoked out because I am usually downwind from the jerk. The more I look at this punk, the younger and smaller he gets. But he always fishes without his shirt and builds a fire even when it is 90 outside and 60% humidity. For you guys who have talked to this poacher, how old is this clown? is he even 18? I stay away from him cause when my mouth starts going it wont stop and sometimes my fists get hard to control too.

11. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

stay with the late evening fishing. It seems they are hitting better between about 10 and midnight. A little late for those of us with day jobs

12. smalliehunter

smalliehunter "The Mighty Wing Man"

Did you not call 1-800-Turn in a poacher.........if you knew this was the guy taking the flatties to a holding tank......... if he was using 6 poles....... freakin call it in........... unless you didnt have a cell phone with you.... :confused:

13. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

no cell phone. I'm trying to get a few license plate numbers to turn over to the game warden. I think it would be better if he could be caught with a few friends, 12 poles, their car, and a live flathead in their rubbermaid tub. This guy will get whats coming to him. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

14. Call them today! Call them every time that you see anything illegal (using more than two poles is illegal)! If they get enough complaints about a particular area, they will check it out.