1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
253 Posts
Good to hear! I'm hoping to get a shot Wednesday after work south of Dayton (bigger water)...will try flukes and spinner bait...and will keep a Pop'r close by just in case the smallies want to get crazy.

·
I'd Rather be fishing!
273 Posts
Great report and nice pics!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Good call on the soft plastic jerk bait...hooked-up on 16 inch twins my first two casts with it on my way to a 5 fish in 60 minutes outing last night.

No fish in my fall "honey holes" yet...they usually don't show up in those spots until October.

But the active feeders did not hesitate to slam the Strike King Caffeine Shad in fast moving shallow (2 fow or less) current.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Good call on the soft plastic jerk bait...hooked-up on 16 inch twins my first two casts with it on my way to a 5 fish in 60 minutes outing last night.

No fish in my fall "honey holes" yet...they usually don't show up in those spots until October.

But the active feeders did not hesitate to slam the Strike King Caffeine Shad in fast moving shallow (2 fow or less) current.

That's a chunker..........

·
bass-o-matic
246 Posts
Question for the river fishermen here: Do you cast downriver, upriver or across the current? Obviously this greatly affects the speed of your retrieval as the water is moving pretty quickly and will carry the lure with the current.

It would seem that the natural "flow" of baitfish would be moving downriver as the current would naturally carry then in that direction.

Do the SMB, white bass, hybrids, saugeye, etc., care which direction the "food" is moving?

Lastly, are you fishing in the ripples, above or below the ripples or in slower moving pools?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Question for the river fishermen here: Do you cast downriver, upriver or across the current? Obviously this greatly affects the speed of your retrieval as the water is moving pretty quickly and will carry the lure with the current.

It would seem that the natural "flow" of baitfish would be moving downriver as the current would naturally carry then in that direction.

Do the SMB, white bass, hybrids, saugeye, etc., care which direction the "food" is moving?

Lastly, are you fishing in the ripples, above or below the ripples or in slower moving pools?
I like casting across the current and let the current carry the bait down stream with a very slow retrieve and then as it reaches the end of the swing retrieve it at a varying speed till i figure out what the fish want. Sometimes casting upstream and working the bait downstream is good if the fish want a faster presentation. You just have to play with it till you figure out what they want..

·
Registered
253 Posts
Good questions...and my answer is "it depends." Last evening, with a soft plastic jerk bait, I mostly cast across current (from the bank) starting about 45 degrees upstream and just twitching the lure as it flowed downstream into what I refer to as a "V" or funnel (where the most active feeders are)...just ahead of the riffle / on the front side of a riffle...where the smooth water of the current kind of forms a V-shape.

That said, I've also been known to stand upstream of similar current situations like this with spinner baits and basically let them "hang" there...casting downstream and barely retrieving the lure and letting the force of the current turn the blades and suspend the lure.

The pattern I saw last night was that the active feeders were definitely prowling these "V's"...which is what I would expect this time of year in SW Ohio streams. In just a few weeks (prediction based on experiences over past couple decades) is some really nice sized smallies will begin schooling and chasing baitfish concentrations in pools of 2-5 FOW with moderate to slow current...the key will be to find the baitfish. Watch for surface activity.

There's probably books & articles & opinions galore on this...this is just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Good questions...and my answer is "it depends." Last evening, with a soft plastic jerk bait, I mostly cast across current (from the bank) starting about 45 degrees upstream and just twitching the lure as it flowed downstream into what I refer to as a "V" or funnel (where the most active feeders are)...just ahead of the riffle / on the front side of a riffle...where the smooth water of the current kind of forms a V-shape.
When rigging the soft plastic jerk bait, do you just use a hook or add some type of weight to it? I was out today and tried throwing a weightless fluke, but the current just kept the lure on the top of the water. Couldn't really "jerk" the bait without it skipping across the surface of the water. Then, I added a split shot by the knot and it kind of helped keep the bait just under the surface (very windy today).

How do you fish the soft plastic jerk baits in these conditions - windy & fast current.

Also, do you guys think line color matters to the fish? I was using a green-colored line (Vicious brand) I got from Walmart and it seems like if the fish run after chartreuse-colored lures, that they would see the lighter colored line. The crappie don't mind it at all ;)

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
Here is a great article for fishing swimbaits and flukes:

http://www.bassfishingandcatching.com/fishing-swimbaits.html

Half way down you will see a picture of some various swimbait hooks. I use weighted hooks from Gamagatsu that keep the bait upright and help with wind/current. I don't use the ones that screw in place, I just use the ones that have a chuck of weight along the base like letter "D" in the photo. Other guys just use a wide-gap (size 3 to size 5) hook and work the surface.

Actually, here, I tied this one out in my truck:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I typically rig with 2/0 offset worm hook under about 8 inches of line and a barrel swivel. I really like the Strike King Caffeine Shads because they are a little more dense and will sink a little. The little bit of weight in the barrel swivel helps get the bait just inches below the surface, which is where I want it...and helps tremendously with line twists when fishing these baits.

Oh, and you're right...these things are nearly impossible to fish well in really windy conditions...that's when I would suggest a spinner bait or crankbait that is easy to stay in contact with.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for the lesson! Now...how about line color? Should I go ahead and switch to a clear line from the greenish colored line? I saw a lot of smaller LM bass following the fluke in about 2 fow, but never took the bait. It's very visible in murky water, too.

I did throw cranks, but nothing hit. I had a light hit on a wacky rigged dinger, though. Perhaps I'll check out the dam for the last time tomorrow morning around 10am. Been out there three times with no luck :( Only a channel cat caught on a cat rig with shad at night. I'm mainly after smallies (yet to catch one), but wouldn't mind catching anything else on a non-cat rig.

Thanks again and tight lines!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts