close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GMR during hurricane - great fishing!

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by SConner, Sep 14, 2008.

1. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

So I promised to take a guy from work and his young son fishing today because his son wants to learn to fish. They get done with soccer and show up to fish at around 3:00 PM as all heck is breaking loose with the wind. They seem determine to fish so we were on the water from 3:30 - 5:00. Wind was absolutely ridiculous, leaves and branches everywhere, and the fishing was hot!!! The young man caught 2 smallmouth, his dad caught a couple decent smallmouth and a real nice largemouth and I caught about 4 smallmouth, 1 channel cat, a small pike and a nice largemouth. So if anyone ever ask if fish will bite during a hurricane, the answer is yes.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=38331&cat=500
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=38330
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=38329

2. Ajax

Ajax Rapala Snagger

I didn't come to the same conclusion today on the LMR. Nothing was biting for me. The water was really stirred up from the wind alone. But congrats, beautiful fish!!! is that a Flathead?

3. My power is out. I just got a chance to use a computer. I didn't expect to see any fishing reports today. You're nuts! :)

4. Amen, Brother...lol...I have to admire the spirit of the man who doesn't let nature stand in the way of his fishing. I fished tuna in a tropical storm that had just been downgraded from a hurricane in a 80 foot boat 30 miles off the coast of mexico in 1978.

5. i have fished twice during the remnants of a hurricane, well 3 times if you count tonight. tonight was a joke, fished (for flatheads) from 8pm-1030pm. not a bite at all, river was full of leaves and debris also. now the previous two "hurricane" trips we slayed the catfish. however the hurricanes then were moving much slower and we fished during the heaviest part of them. tonight i just think we were too late.

6. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

I figured it was fish or sit and watch my yard get trashed! I will be picking up sticks all week, but thankfully no big trees down.

7. TeamPlaker

TeamPlaker Fishing Deadbeat

Nice fish... I must say, you've got brass ones brother. I was out when it started and we were catching fish but the thought of a tree branch falling on my head outweighed the fishing.

8. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

We were in a very open part of river with no trees overhead. Lots of stuff was coming down on the far side of river but only leaves on the side we were at. It did really mess with casting accuracy.

9. i had the same experience yesterday on the lmr, we went in the evening and did well we got some smallies as well as some sauger and white bass, it was cool watching those smallies hit topwater in that wind! nothing over 14in but lots of fun, I'm about to head back out now because the crowd and panera is nuts!

10. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

I thought about fishing yesterday, but spent the afternoon in the backyard dodging falling limbs from our giant pignut hickory tree.

What bizarre weather. I watched the wind snap the top half of a large cedar tree in our backyard like a toothpick. I wonder if there is a lot of brush clogging up parts of the river.

11. TeamPlaker

TeamPlaker Fishing Deadbeat

I was thinking about that today... how much new structure there will be to fish. :)

12. Scott, I went out to that spot this morning, no power at work so I got the day off .... I think I caught that exact same largemouth .... other than that I only got 5 dinky smallmouth.

13. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Would not surprise me if it was the same largemouth. I was wondering if it was the same one I caught a week of so ago at the same spot. That LM was orphaned at birth and raised by smallmouth. Always out in the current, jumps a lot, pulls all over the place.

14. You know what is real funny, I think I caught that one three weeks ago the last time I was there as well.