close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GMR carpin 11/24

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Rooster, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Fished the GMR for some carp from 2:00 ? 5:00pm today. The weather was great and the river looked good, but the fish were not too cooperative. Had two fish on, but lost both at the bank. Both fish hit corn, and I did not have any hits on wheaty balls. I think that my experiment with circle hooks for carp is officially over. The fish get hooked, but the hooks seem to pull out very easily (even with a very loose drag). It might be the area where the circle hooks dig in? I have been loosing a lot of fish, and I'm blaming the hooks.

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i find the cheap eagle claw hooks works the best..

3. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

I'm starting to like the Tiemco 2457 in size 6. They are 25 for about $5 at BPS. They are Fly hooks but they are reasonably thick, sharp and the eye is big enough for a knotless knot and leader of 20# fluorocarbon.

The knotless knot is definitely the way to go. Larger hooks (size 4 & 6) should plant right into the bottom lip which is the best place. Smaller hoos will hook into the side of the mouth and will still hold with no problem.

4. Congratulations on the carp. Any carp this time of the year is a good carp. I've hung up the poles ever since the end of October because I'm doing work on my house. I can't wait to get all this work done and am hoping for an early spring.