close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GMR 9-27, Flatties and a fish dinner!

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by dinkbuster1, Sep 28, 2008.

1. OGF member Chubbahead and I hit the GMR last night for what was going to be an all nighter. we fished from 4pm-345am, cutting out early due to no activity for the last 3 hours we were there. almost all the activity we had was between 630pm and 930pm. caught about 8 channels and got 4 flatheads weighing 15, 16, 22, and 30.5lb. we also cleaned and cooked 3 small channels by the fire. thanks to some salt i brought they ate really well. all fish were caught on cut shad, sucker, and live Bullheads. fish were releasedafter a few photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

Nice! Those fillets by the fire look mighty tasty!
    Flatties gotta be the ugliest fish that swims in Ohio waters,IMHO,TC1

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Good going man. You guys are on those fish thats for sure. Wish I had the freakin time to join you! :(

4. Nice fish. You guys had a good night of catfishing.

5. When I was driving home, I was thinking I wish we would of taken some pics of the fillets by the fire. I didn't know you did. It was good eating, no tartar needed.

Cooking the channels was about all there was to do after 10pm or so. Flatheads completely shut down and we were just catching channels every now and again the rest of the night. If not for the cooking, we probably would have left at midnight.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Dink can make a good meal out of anything man. He's the best fireside cook I know. I've shared fresh channel cat and gar with him like that, plus some veggies too!

7. Yeah, he told me about the potatos and corn you make. We should all get together and just have a feast over the fire. Oh, and maybe fish a little too. :)

8. Tall cool one

Wait a minute...did I read that right? You ate gar???

9. yes, we ate gar! after you get though that tough skin, and the smelliest slime in fresh water, you actually end up with some of the finest white delicious meat that will ever grace your lips!

10. Tall cool one

I think king salmon from the grt lks when they are up in the rivers is smelliest but never-the-less,I'd've never thought about eating gar. Guess it makes sense,they eat fish and a fish tastes like what it eats!
    I like your idea of just salt for seasoning,pretty much the same myself on what I put on fish.

11. Wow, that is an impressive hall...what part of the GMR were you at? In the Dayton area by any chance? Didn't know there catfish that big in there...LMAO...awesome catch bro.

12. bigdogsteve-o

bigdogsteve-o The Catfishing God

Nice fish guys, you have certainly got these fish pegged. good job.

13. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

dink, consider yourself lucky! all of our go to spots have completely shut down. and like you said, when we DO get fish it's usually early, then they just shut off. i dont' know when the heck they are feeding, they gotta start soon to fatten up for the winter

14. they have already started putting on the "feed bag" but the next cold snap will kick them into high gear. this late in the year and later it will be either on or off during the feed. i have seen periods where you may sit 22 hours out of the day/night and never get a hit but those two hours left will be fantastic. as you get into late October and if the water temps hold out in early november i have noticed the best period to fish is between 10am-3pm. that is of course the spots i fish, may be different in other areas. BTW, we were fishing south of Hamilton ;)

15. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

and you know what? thats what i was thinking too, if they aren't feeding early evening, night time, or in the morn they gotta be feeding during the day time.

16. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Looks like a darn good night, and that campside catfish looks awsome!

17. fisherman5567

fisherman5567 Fishin Everyday

way to go dink! wish we had that kinda action in the moraine pool!

18. Congrats on a good night of catching.

19. NICE catches and tasty looking filets. I was on the GMR last Friday night and had the same strong bite in the dusk to dark timeframe. Caught my first 3 flatheads ever fishing a drop-off in front of a riffle with gill heads. Good to hear you guys think the bite will just get stronger as the weather cools.

20. that would be nice! i dont know why that stretch is so devoid of flatheads, has lots of baitfish in it. i have spent a lot of time trying to find flatheads, especially the bigger fish in that pool. i know of only 5 fish in the 20's comming out of there.