Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some free time to hit the GMR in Miami County today, glad I did! It was my.first time out since Sunday, and I was itching to get at it. This past Sunday, I had the pleasure of getting out on the water with a few fellow OGFers, and at the end of our wade, we hit a spot that I was unfamiliar with, but had been literally under my nose for ages... deep pools + fallen trees + underwater structure = I've been thinking about getting out there since Sunday!

I'll start with the disclaimer that I am not a very good river angler by any means. Im still extremely green, and trying to learn every trip out. I do feel however, that things are starting to make more sense to me. I wanted to stick to my confidence lures today (flukes and rebel craws) and I did that. I also brought a few Pop'rs with me to give those a go. I haven't had much success with them, but they seem to be highly successful this time of year from what I've read on here.

After about a 10 minute wade to get to the spot I wanted to start at, I got set up and started casting. Within 5 minutes, I was rewarded with a healthy 12" smallie that was resting under a downed branch waiting for dinner to float by. They must have been stacked up in that area, because back to back 10 inchers came right after that.

A few more casts there, and I elected to wade a little further down the path towards a large downed tree. After about 5 minutes, I felt a healthy pull on my line, so I set the hook, and my drag went screaming! After a few seconds, I saw a nice smallie leap out of the water (and put some butterflies in my stomach in the process!) I was sure she was going to shake loose, so I buried my rod tip into the water and worked her in. She was hooked pretty deep, so I worked the hook free, snapped a quick picture and got her back in the water. Looks around 16" which would be my PB smallie of the year.. she was healthy, fat, and felt a lot bigger reeling her in! A couple of casts later, I hooked on to something big, and it ran me under the tree and snapped my line. I can tell you whatever it was, it had to dwarf the 16 inch smallie!

I took this opportunity to tie on a rebel craw, and the fun was on from there! No other smallies, but in the course of a few hours, I hit well over 15 rock bass and a small crappie - my first gmr crappie ever. Biggest Rockie of the group was around 7" but it was fun getting on a good quantity of fish today! I packed a lunch in my bag, so when I was done fishing, I kicked back on a little island and ate while I enjoyed the scenery. Sometimes, I really do enjoy that more than the actual fishing itself.. to be out there enjoying our great natural resource that is the GMR - there's nothing like it! Ill post some photos of some of the fish here and stop rambling. Hope everyone gets out and lands some big ones in the near future!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Attachments

·
Registered
626 Posts
Nice Job Steve! Sunday was a blast out on the River with you! I would have never guessed fishing with you that you was green in a river. You was leading Me.... You was a great guide!
Sunday paid off well for Mike in that area you was in today, but I can not stay in an area for 6 hours catching a fish just once an hour. lol
The smallie you got today is a very nice River smallie, Exactly what you would expect, long and lean.
I am ready to hit the River with you again and this time for some Pike!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking forward to it! The spot I was mentioning the other day should be prime for pike after this rain comes through!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 4 of 4 Posts