Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well sticking true to my word about getting as much fishing in before the dreaded "s" word, I took the boys out last night to our favorite spot on the GMR. To my surprise there was not a soul on the river last night, it was such a beautiful night, I could not believe we had the river all to our selves.
The water level was down and believe it or not you could actually see the bottom of the river near the bank. It only took 3 months to clear up!
The night started out fast and furious, before I could get a pole in the water my 12 year old nabbed a buffalo! Go figure, we landed another one. He hooked him good and he was bleeding some so no picture, wanted to get him back in the water quick. He swam away rather fast so I know all was well. He hooked him on a silver silent rapala lipless crank. I bought some worms at Meijer on the way home from work and hooked up my little man with a bobber and let him cast away with the worm about 6" inches from bobber. First cast boom a tiny little channel cat. He did not care though it was first channel of the year.
I thought for sure we were going to slay them all night but the bite slowed down. I did manage a nice 16" Saugeye, he bit on a 3" green pumpkin curly tail. He put up a nice fight. My four year old ended up with one more tiny little channel cat and the night ended with a nice Smallie caught by my 12 year old. He caught it on the same lipless crank he caught the Buffalo on.
So we still caught 5 fish and had a blast doing so. All in all a good night.
I am going to figure out how to use tubes like everyone else. I have tried them a few times and not even had a bite, so I must be doing something wrong. I have tried Senkos in the river with no luck as well. I do well with the Senkos in the pond we fish but that is it. Hope to get out again this week! Good luck to all and keep up the great reports!

Attachments

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
Nice report and great to hear you're gettin the kids out a lot before "S" Day! Ditto on tubes and senkos. Can get lmb all day long Texas rigging senkos on lakes and ponds. Rivers not so much.

Tubes have also peaked my interest recently. Got a pack of three inch green pumpkins only broke open once. One nibble but no hook set. Haven't tried again yet but really wanting to soin. Also need to try some of the sculpins every ones been raving about.

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 2 of 2 Posts