Gmr 8-23

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by SConner, Aug 24, 2008.

1. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Went out for a long wade (5 hours) on a section of river I have never been on. Water was low and relatively clear for GMR. Managed about 20 fish during the wade including smallmouth, rock bass, saugeye, sucker, and one pike. Most were caught on husky jerks and rebel craws. I am not seeing many crawfish in the water but one of the smallmouth had one in it's throat when caught.

I have been really struggling with catching decent sized smallmouth. I assume they have gone into deeper pools but can't seem to get them to bite??

2. I agree, they must be in the deeper holes because that makes the most sense. I can't get them to bite, either. I suspect that we'd have more success with finesse baits like tubes and other jigs because the heat usually makes them a little lethargic.

If it's true that the bigger fish swim upstream when the water is up, then the opposite may be true which would put all the big fish in Cincinnati by now :)

3. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

I'm speculating you might catch a big smallie in the deeper pools on soft craws. I'm tempted to take a day off tomorrow to go try for one, before we get Hurricane Fay rains to muddy things up. The only drawback is, at 9 bucks a dozen for soft craws, ravenous rock bass can gobble up your budget.

I like the pools that have weedbeds along the bank, where it drops off pretty quick to 3 or 4 feet. Only problem with those holes is they can be difficult to wade to.

There was a pretty good article about smallies in the Troy paper yesterday by Jim McGuire. He had been fishing in Ohio Brush creek, and mentioned this is a great month for smallies - we finally got the clear water we've been wishing for.

4. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

I always enjoy reading his articles. Did he say something about soft craws in that one? How do you rig these up?

5. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

I think he caught his fish on little twister tails, darker colors, on ultralight tackle. He said the biggest fish was about 18 inches.

Soft craws i just hook under the shell in the tail, with a number 2 or 4 hook, with a split shot and a small bobber about 3 ft up. I like using artificials, but in the deep holes and alot of water to cover, i don't have the patience to fish the jigs properly.

6. Have any of you guys walked the new gravel they have put down for levy repair and fished between market and adams street bridges. I was looking at that yesterday and thought just maybe it might be good. My kids said they were talking to one of the workers and that job is going to take a several months. So don't expect the dam being shut anytime to soon.

7. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

Haven't tried that but it looks interesting. I've seen herons fishing in the riffle below Mkt Street, there must be some fish in there.

8. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

I don't know if I have the patience either. Maybe I just need to slow down and relax more.

9. I fished the area around the Adams St bridge (above, under, and below) with one small rock bass being my only bite. I also covered all of the water from Treasure Island down to that bridge. The very best spot looks to be real close to the bridge on the upstream side (fast water moving into a deep pocket), but I'll be dog-gone since I could only get one little rock bass to hit on a perfect evening.

Years ago, when they had the dam open before, I found a few largemouths, tons of rock bass, and I heard a fairly credible claim of a large musky caught in about the middle between the Adams and Market St bridges. I was hoping for the same scenario this time but it's not looking good so far. That stretch is no good with the water up or down, which stinks for me because it's close to home and accessible with a small boat. I'm hoping somebody with better skill and luck than me will hit that spot near the Adams St bridge and report some success. (Since I mentioned a boat, I should point out that right now, you can't even get a boat in there. It's very shallow and perfect for wading.)

10. If you start at Treasure Island park to the left as soon as you pull in. Walk all the way out to the river, since its low you will have to drop down on the rocks and hang a left about 20 yards. Now look across and up stream you will see a big tree on the bank behind the park. There is a 9-10 foot hole (normal pool) there its kinda on the backside of that island. We have caught perch in it before and various other species. Good luck.

11. Squid -

I know where you're talking about. In the past, I've found some largemouths in there and there are some small perch in the area. I didn't know it was that deep, though.

12. Maybe a little less, we were in a boat and I'm guessing off the anchor rope. There was another deeper than normal hole just past market street bridge heading east southeast.