close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gmr 8/19/04

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Rooster, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Tried a new spot yesterday, and it was a HUGE mistake. I was driving down River Road stopping at the different pull-off, and scouting some new areas. Finally found on that looked productive (nice long slow deep run with some downed trees below a set of rapids). It was very difficult to access the spot, and I thought that might help my chances getting into some nice fish. I got a nice run about tem minutes after getting the second rod in the water. Got another run only a few minutes later on the other rod. I hooked the third run, and knew immediately that I was going to have to cross this spot off my list. Yep, gar and they were in there thick! After taking two more off the hook, and sacrificing a dozen goldfish, I decided to call it a night.

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Yep, Gar can ruin a good nights fishing thats for sure..I have always found the shallower the water the mor the gar will hit.

3. Had the same thing happen to me on the Ohio near Woodland Mound. Runs all night and finally a 30"er at 4 in the morning...after 30 bait fish. The good news was that at least it beat a skunk, the bad news was that it probably weight about 3 lbs more than it did before I got there.

I find the shallow water rule to hold true too. I find that if I can cast into deeper water, the gar lay off for a while but eventually sniff out my bait... Cut bait seems to REALLY bring them out versus live...at least for me.

Rain allowing, I'll probably try the near the same place tonight with a buddy. I think I'll talk him into cut bait and livers while I walk down stream a little with the goldfish...;)

4. I used to be stationed in Omaha and the base lake out there was lousy with gar! The thing they messed up the most was trying to fish for bass with surface lures, especially at night. Anything that made any splash at all would bring those ugly suckers from all over the lake! Had the same trouble back home in Illinois. The Mazon river had one hole that was great for smallies, but it would get overrun with gars once in a while. So we would go out there with our bows and fishing arrows and clean up on those critters. After a couple of trips like that, we could get through to the bass again! Couldn't do that on base, though!