Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out last night with a friend for a couple of hours targeting smallmouth. Water is very warm, levels are just above normal summer pool and clarity was decent. My friend just wanted to catch fish and kept rebel craw on the entire wade, I was hoping to go big and was switching lures depending on conditions. We both ended up catching 2 saugeye each, 1 channel cat each and around 5 smallmouth each. Near the end of the wade, my friend got into a nice beefy 18.25 smallmouth on Rebel craw. Fish made a couple nice runs and one jump. Coloration made me think this fish has been holding tight to the bottom in a deep hole. He does not get out much and was absolutely thrilled.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/56633/ppuser/8756

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thats AWESOME. Not to mention re-confirming that the rebel craw still works:p Congrats to your friend and thanks for sharing. Some of the water is getting pretty warm thats for sure.

·
LMR Master Angler
940 Posts
Nice Smallie!! Who says it's too hot for smallies right now!! I love summer!! Guess I will have to keep my Wee Craws so the trade is off! LOL

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Man that is a nice fish congratz to your buddy! I need to try the Rebel Craw more, I had caught 2 fish on it ever, a rock bass and a small smallie. Maybe I need to use it in very rocky areas? Again nice fish!

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
Nice Fish on the Ohio classic!!! Good to know he had a nice combo to horse that thing in!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
That is a nice one.... I went to the GMR for the first time ever last weekend (thanks to pictures like this I am seeing of small mouth in that river) and I managed to catch 5 smallies. All were would be "keepers" with my biggest being 16 inches and all of them over 12 inches. Lost a couple on the jump and one nice one when I went to pull him out of the water.

I threw a Rebel Craw about 50 casts with no luck (not sure the lure was running right in the current). I caught all my smallies on a Bomber Square A (the small ones). Threw a small RatL-Trap about 30 casts with no luck either, but those Bombers were tearing it up. Also caught 1 largemouth and 3 cats (I'll be honest, I am not sure if they were shovelheads or channel cats... all I know is they weren't blues!)...

Where be the good spots to wade in the GMR? Where I was fishing near Franklin OH there wasn't a very long stretch of the river where you could really wade. I had 3 sets of rapids I could get to and the rest was not really all that accessable (at least to me since I go in up to my chest in some current a couple times and wasn't too comfortable with that).

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's a monster compared to my first ever smallie. Happens to be my first fish from a river too. The current really helps the fish fight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts