Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Annyong!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit the GMR Friday evening. I was there about forty minutes when OSG showed up. I fished for about three hours and had caught several smallmouth on tubes and lipless cranks, none bigger than twelve and a half inches.

OSG moved around the area and seemed to be catching all kinds of fish, every time I looked around to search him out he was holding up a nice fish; although a few times he was so far away he could have been holding up an old shoe and I wouldn't have known any better. What the hell is a sculpin anyway?

Sometime just before the sun dipped below the treeline I tied on a brand new lipless crank and tossed it out. A few casts later I felt it bump something and "set" the hook. I knew pretty quick this was a big fish. It was just digging and pulling drag. After several minutes I yelled over to OSG so I at least had a witness when I lost this beast.

OSG can keep me honest, but I'm pretty sure this tug-o-war lasted about twenty minutes, before I saw that I had fouled hooked a carp through the dorsal fin and had it worn out enough to get near shore. OSG came over and waded out to grab it for me. I was hoping it was a big flathead, but it was a great battle non the less. Carp are no joke, especially when they are foul hooked.

It measured 30" and weighed 13.2 pounds.

·
Registered
860 Posts
That carp is a beast, I bet it gave a heckuva fight. I found some of those sculpins at BPS hat OSG was recommending. I got some nibbles on them but haven't landed anything yet.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I took a horrible picture, that carp was prettier than that pic. In the heat of the moment I could have sworn it was five pounds heavier. I've decided that without a scale or a ruler I'm completely unreliable on how big something is. It looks like 13 pound fish in the pictures. Where Delta caught it, the current is huge and it was a great fight, a blast to watch. Between how hard a carp fights and the swift water it took him forever to land it.
I caught two pretty smallies around 16 inches long. One a bit under, one a bit over. The rest were pretty small, 8 to 13 inch fish. Plus two channel cats and a tiny catfish that was snagged in the butt.

OSG moved around the area and seemed to be catching all kinds of fish, every time I looked around to search him out he was holding up a nice fish; although a few times he was so far away he could have been holding up an old shoe and I wouldn't have known any better. What the hell is a sculpin anyway?
That's a good idea, next time I take the old tennis shoes off to get gravel out I'm holding them up like a fish. A sculpin BTW is the future. A grub, tube type lure that actually looks like something. I just wish there more choices in colors and maybe a bigger tail on some. The thing looks goofy on a jig head the way I fish it but man it flat catches fish. I think my striped work shirt and flowered Hawaiian swim trunks are a pretty sexy combination too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts