Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting bait caught, waded gmr for first time ever from about 6 to 9 for some smallies. Nothing big by any means but got my first smb from this body so happy. Biggest was maybe 8 - 9". Switced my tactics at 9 or so and prayed for some cats. Boy did the fish gods answer my prayers.

Bite was all but dead till about 10:30 then straight took off from there. Forgot just how tiring a good night of catting is. Lol. First bite took line off my reel like I haven't heard in years, man that thing was screaming. Peeling drag back and forth for about 5 minutes in the current and clearing the water like a dolphin. 6 or 7 jumps at least, this was a fighter for sure. Finally beached this guy coming in at 26.25" for my PB and first FO channel cat. First FO for any species in fact. Probably gotten some sun fish but never measured any so hadn't counted em.

Tangled up in my second line during the fight so pulled in to re-bait. Threw in first line, was putting a live gill on the second line and gut a run before I even cast second pole. Had to drop line and gill in water to stay alive while I wrestled in the next cat. This was a flattie at 23". Twenty minutes later, had a fiesty 23" channel. Bite stopped for about another hour.

Come about 1 or so, got a few little tugs at my line for a couple minutes and thought it might've been a turtle so did what I try not to do usually and set the hook at the moment the run starts thinking if it was a turtle, I'd spook it off. NOPE. Pole doubled over then went slack. Reeling in kinda fast thinking id lost it and then double over again as a monster jumped outta the water three feet from the bank.

This thing swam all the way to me with little fight. Just sat on the bank not moving like she'd been through this a couple times. Too bad too cuz she happened to be the best sized of the night at 34"(Flathead) And my new PB. Getting closer and closer but still can't find me a FO flattie. 30 minutes later, got a 20" flattie and called it a night. Best day out I've had all year. Even if I looked like a wallering pig afterward with all the mud in my spot.

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Attachments

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
finally...your screen name makes sense! Way to go catmangler!!!!
Thanks 9! yeah cats have always been my thing. Got into lmb real hard last year, but been focusing most my time on smb this go around. Changing things up and challenging myself I guess.

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Nice looking fish!! yesterday was a good day to be outdoors

1 - 6 of 6 Posts