Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished from the kayaks with a buddy. We ended up with three small flatheads. Guesstimation that the biggest one was around 10lbs. Also, a couple of real small channels and four gar. Caught everything on cut shad.

So this was one of the first times that I've been sucessful with the gar. I've heard that you should let them take the bait for up to 5 min. before setting the hook bc they'll strip line, stop, then strip some more before swalloing. However, these guys just seem to run so I end up stopping them before they spool me. Anyone have any experience with these guys?

I've done ok with the flyrod and rope lures, even tried tying a rope lure on the shank of a circle hook when fishing shad but that didn't work.

So now I'm just using treble hooks when I want to catch them and was able to get a few. Seems like there should be a better way though. Also wondering if I would be better switching to straight shank hooks when fishing for catfish and gar because I don't think a circle is going to work on a gar's snout.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

I'll put up pics when I figure out how.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've caught quite a few gar (some big) this year. I'm always fishing channels, so all were caught on a 8/0 circle hook w/ cut shad. A couple of things that work for me: (1) Make sure the bait is on the small side, (2) Don't set the hook right away. I have found that they will pick up the bait, presumablely to get away from competetors, and move to a safer spot. After they stop and swallow then move off again, hook the fish. I always hook them in the soft spot underneath and behind the snout. All fish are released without being mortaly wounded. The key is to differentiate between a gar hit, turtle, and catfish hit. It took me a lot of time spent on the water before I could let a fish run like that knowing it's a gar. Most of the time they have a tendecy to come back toward me giving slack in the line on their initial run. I have also had them scream my clicker, but they haven't been doing that lately for some reason. Hope this helps.

TH

1 - 2 of 2 Posts