Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anxious to get on the river after a few days off due to rain. Water came down pretty quick and was fairly easy to wade but still muddy. Worked a little ripple that runs about waist deep and pulled a nice 12" largemouth off a weed bed, then worked upstream with no success. Work my way back down as sun was getting low and got into a 19" saugeye follow by a dink smallmouth. Not the best evening fishing, but not too bad either. Should be good over next couple of days as the water clears up a little.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/44912/cat/all/limit/last7

·
Registered
125 Posts
Good luck... One of my co-workers went sunday and caught a 30 inch pike and several 20+inch saugeye all of them caught on the GMR with black buzzbait. Needless to say I willbe going over tomorrow night trying the same. Seems like lots of great luck with the pike the past week. Hopefully I can catch my first!!! :)

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of my co-workers went sunday and caught a 30 inch pike and several 20+inch saugeye all of them caught on the GMR with black buzzbait.
I would never have thought a saugeye would go after a buzzbait, especially as high as the water was Sunday after all the rain... and then he tops it off with a 30" pike in muddy water. Tell your co worker congratulations on an unbelievable day of fishing!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Saugeyes on a buzzbait? That's a new one on me. I've never heard of anybody catching even one, let alone several........and 20"+ to boot. Outstanding day indeed.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well... I just got back from the GMR here in troy, and report to follow, but first... I will correct my previous report about my coworker. I did talk to him this afternoon before I left work to verify where and how he was fishing. He was actually wading waist deep from Troy dam down to St rt 41 bridge and casting along weed beds, BUT HE WAS NOT USING A BUZZBAIT. Good call everybody and sorry for the bad report. He was using about a 4 inch split body jerk bait minnow black in color. Sizes and amounts were correct. Now on to my report and I must say the worst night I've ever had, but you have those from time to time and just have to try again. My friend and I went to Troy and parked one car at he st rt 41 bridge and one at the Dam where we got in. We waded each on opposite river banks and casting and retrieving along the weedbeds mainly and every few cast would cast a few towards center or along ripples/current. We waded almost all the way to st rt 41 bridge before being forced to get out and walk the bank to the car. We threw out mostly jerkbaits like a rapala x-rap silver and black minnow jerkbait, rebel wee craw orangish/brown, and buzzbaits black and also a white one. My friend got one small pike 20 inch? and we had NO other bites. We were out from 7:30 pm till 9:30 pm, and what made this worst is we kept stumbling on HUGE BOULDERS in the water and eventually both my friend and I hit a big enough one that we took a short nose dive into the water with our waders on. At least now I know the myth of your waders filling with water super fast is false, but my phone is still drying out and that was right at the end of the wade and when we were "forced" to get out and walk the rest of the way. I also lost my Rebel wee craw due to a bad knot tye, and lost my new strike king buzz bait due to a line snap on a cast with my 6 pound test stren Magna thin line which is a bout a year old and I will be replacing this weekend with probably same stuff but 10 pound test since I have been using a lot of lures and river fishing. I then used a black with blue spec coffee tube with 1/8 oz bullet weight and fished texas rigged the next 40 min due to it was the only lure I had left with me and again no bites at all. This was our first time wading this area of river and I though it was not worth stumbling all over these boulders and having the constant change in deep and shallow spots to watch out for, but this might have been worth it if we were catching fish, and it might not have been as bad to wade if we did not have that big storm last weekend. From what I heard from others no one had any luck tonight. I apologize for a long report, but I like to give everyone as much details as possible because either A.) my mistakes or success will help someone else, or B.) someone might see something to give me advice or comments on. Hopefully someone else had better luck than me tonight. Maybe I'll try between Tipp and Troy tomorrow at lunch. If nothing else I am going on a camping and canoe/fishing trip to lake loramie this weekend and will hopefully catch some fish. At least I am getting to know the map of the river right? Eventually I am bound to have better luck. By the way the one pike was caught on a jerkbait.

·
Banned
578 Posts
"...or B.) someone might see something to give me advice or comments on."

Lotsa big boulders, eh? Since they weren't in the weeds, it sounds like you may have been standing where you should have been fishing. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts