close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gmr 6-9-07

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by pendog66, Jun 10, 2007.

1. pendog66

pendog66 It swims its bait

Went out with Steve again tonight and i have to say it was one of the gut dropping nights of fishing i have had for a while. Steve took a 5 and 18 pound flatheads while i missed three monster runs. The first missed totally, second fought him for about 30 seconds and felt big. The third fought for about 5 minutes then rolled and threw the hook. I have taken big fish in this spot but nothing has fought me quite as hard as the fish i missed tonight. I guess i will get them next time.:( [​IMG][​IMG]

2. pendog66

also steves 18 pound flathead was a female with fresh scrapes on her head from spawning.

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Dang Nate, sounds like you have a good spot..Dont tell MELLON WHERE IT IS.:D

4. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

Nate, have you ever tried circle hooks? They will save you a lot of headaches.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I think I know that spot. Good job. 18 pounds is a nice GMR fish for sure. I think we've only busted 20#'s 3 times this year with the largest being 25#. I say anytime you hit the GMR for flatheads a 15# fish a a decent fish.

6. pendog66

Bryan i think you know this spot, i took two 30's and a 42 out of this spot last year. We need to get out and fish together this summer. Also steve and i talked about it and we both agreed we might not of had big enough hooks on for the size bait we were using

7. Way to go guys, the 18 is a nice fish! Heck Nate, I forgot you were back in town or I would have called you, I ended up fishing by myself about a mile from where you were and from 8:30-midnight, took 3, all small ones. about 2 lbs, a 3 lber and the whopper of the night, of about 5 lbs ( which took my only 9" bullhead) the rest came on rather expensive 2" goldfish. At least Im getting a few flatties this year, last year I only got 1 and im up to 10 this year, all under 8-9 lbs. Were yours caught on live shad or gills?

Salmonid

8. the one nate lost was massive, the boil from the roll sounded like a huge dog splashing in the water, good to see you guys caught someafter we left.

brandon

9. bigdogsteve-o

bigdogsteve-o The Catfishing God

I am glad I caught my two but would have loved to see the size of that last one you had on Nate. We will be there again and again,it will be caught this year.

10. bigdogsteve-o

we actually caught them on bullheads, Mark

11. thats great, i was fearing they were starting to spawn already:(

12. bigdogsteve-o

you can see the scrapes real good in the picture. she was also missing an eye.

13. how long after we left did u get that one bigdogsteve-o and yeah she is lookin pretty rough. did ur guys friend have any luck?

14. bigdogsteve-o

I caught that 18# at around 2 in the morning. Craig got a couple of small runs but never caught anything.

15. shawn said as soon as we was pulling away that one of u was going to get a good one. LOL

16. pendog66

yeah it was an overall good night. steve and i will be hitting a different section of river this week we have never fished before. wish us luck

17. bigdogsteve-o

Hopefully this spot will treat us good too.

18. pendog66

Hopefully, and i cant believe i am down 14 pounds to you this year in catfish. 103.5 to 89

19. bigdogsteve-o

hey when you are good you are good

20. bigdogsteve-o

that would have been different if you could land a freakin fish