Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the cold front moving in and the river being up a little decided that this evening would be better than tomorrow so I called my good buddy SConner and asked him if he wanted to hit the river. Took off work early and headed out. Water was still discolored, but really warm. At first we were throwing cranks to no avail :( and I actually used a swivel for the first time and I think I'm going to start using one...switching lures in the middle of the river is a hell of a lot easier!! Scott was working the deep part of the channel and I was working the shallow part of the river on the opposite side when he mentioned something to me about switching to a tube. I've done good on tubes at W Carrollton but not up north so I wanted to give my crank a few more casts then with nothing even sniffing it I switched to a Coffee tube. Glad I did cause a couple casts later I hooked into my new PB smallmouth!! As soon as I felt him I knew he was a good fish. 17" and chunky!! We worked our way upriver trying to find some fish...but they were just not hungry I guess. On our way back down Scott hooked a small saugeye and smallmouth and performed the "long release" technique. We saw some activity in front of us...not sure what it was but we thought it was a big pike. Tried going after it but it didn't want anything we were throwing. A couple yards past where we saw all the commotion Scott hooked in to a good fish and ended up being a 15" smallmouth. A couple other smaller fish were caught but those two were the best of the evening.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/44617

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/44618

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Congrats on a quality smallmouth. They really start getting chunky at that length. Now let's find a couple 20"ers!

·
Fishing Deadbeat
543 Posts
Congrats on the new PB. I'd give it less than a week before you break it again. ;)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Congrats, BG. Hope there's many more like it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts