Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out yesterday from about 6pm to sundown. Water had a very odd brown tint to to it with lots of small particles in suspension and any area with slack water had a nasty looking brown foam sitting on top. There was no foul smell and fishing was ok ....so anyone know what would cause this? I assumed it must be some kind of algae bloom triggered by the rain Thursday night, but that is just a guess. It did leave a greenish ring around my shirt at the water line similar to a soap scum ring in a tub.

Friend and I caught about 15 smallmouth that where all pretty small and each of us lost really nice fish :( I had mine on for about 30-40 seconds, everything was going well and he wrapped around a rock and was gone. Felt like it might be in the 18-19" range so I was a little bummed to lose it. Oh well, just keeps me wanting more!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Not sure where you were but if it was anywhere downstream from Treasure Island, it might be related to the project there. When I looked last Thursday, they had almost all of the muck cleared out. I'm not sure how they would remove the dams without making some kind of mess.

I've been wondering why the graph shows the water level unchanged for the last two days. I guess the streams are still emptying out.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Aw yuck! I see what you mean now. It has nothing to do with Treasure Island. The water looked like root beer. We waded out into it for about 15 minutes and came out with green funk on our legs and shorts. The whitish colored line on our spools is now green. I think you were right about some sort of algae.

We went to the other river in this County and found it to be nice and clean. One dink smallie for all the running around we did but we found a really nice new hole.

·
master angler
149 Posts
I was on the GMR Saturday and there is definitely an algae bloom happening. We started well north of Piqua and the further south we went, the worse the water. The water was making the fish bite funny. We caught a fair amount of decent fish but had a lot of short strikes/followers and LOTS of spooked smallies that would jump around/smack into the boat. When we finished, our poles, line, hands, clothes, etc. were covered in greenish slime. I hope it wasn't toxic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts