Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The conditions were too perfect to pass up this evening. Severe weather on the way, right water level and my barometer was reading very low (29.6). We hit a seemingly perfect feeding area from 6:30 to 8:30. This spot usually holds smallies, saugeyes, rock bass, and even LM.

I was stymied to find the beautiful rolling waters to seem almost void of any life. We covered every inch around an island twice with crankbaits and spinners. My son snagged a dink smallie in the eye and decided to use it for bait when it went belly-up. I did manage about a 16" channel cat that hit my inline spinner. That was the only catch to avoid a skunk. We did see a deer cross the river and it hung around on the bank for about an hour. My son was fascinated with a snake skin that he found. So, it was a good to get out.

As I mentioned, the water level was close to perfect up here. It's still stained, but this river never runs clear. That will change tonight and then I'd expect it to come back down quickly.

So much for "perfect" conditions.

·
Just keep casting ...
170 Posts
I fished that section of the GMR, "Miami County", several times last week. Couldn't turn up much more than a few dink rock bass. Like you, everything looked "fishy" ... just couldn't entice a decent bite. I thought I might be using too heavy a line and too big on the lures. Heading up tomorrow with a smaller setup. Let you know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
Hmmmmmmm, this is becoming a trend. It just seems like numbers are way off on the smallies this year on upper GMR. Anyone biologist or someone from ODNR want to venture a guess on why this would be? I suspect it would be caused by consecutive years of high mortality during spawn due to flooding.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I can tell you the water is still on the cool side. After seeing someone's post 2 weeks ago saying it was comfortable to wade in shorts I took one step into the river and flew 5 steps back. I would think with the high heat and humidity though the temp will raise fast now.

·
Wishin I was Fishin!
299 Posts
that was me short wading....gmr isnt bad...fished lmr in yellow springs and hit some cold spring run ins ...that was cold....but sconner is right numbers are off.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Ohio EPA will be surveying the middle GMR starting in the next few weeks. We'll start at Syndey and work down to Dayton with several sites on the mainstem as well as the tributaries. I'd be happy to let you all know how we do, stay posted.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ohio EPA will be surveying the middle GMR starting in the next few weeks. We'll start at Syndey and work down to Dayton with several sites on the mainstem as well as the tributaries. I'd be happy to let you all know how we do, stay posted.
Cool! Yes, please do let us know. Thanks.

·
master angler
149 Posts
I can tell you the water is still on the cool side. After seeing someone's post 2 weeks ago saying it was comfortable to wade in shorts I took one step into the river and flew 5 steps back. I would think with the high heat and humidity though the temp will raise fast now.
Water temp. in the GMR was 79 deg. when we put in and got up to 85 deg. yesterday by the time we took out in an upper stretch of the river.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Could it be that the smallies have seen every size and shape of rebel craw out there and are starting to associate the sight of it with pain? Or did they all move south to Middletown? I wish!! (Will be fishing the GMR in Middletown just in case, lol) The challenge is to be the first one to figure it out. On the other hand, it is human nature to always want more, bigger and better bass and you might have to accept the fact that the great fishing you guys had last year is over. My bet is you will figure it out and we will be seeing plenty of pictures real soon!
________
TattooHotBody cam

1 - 9 of 9 Posts