Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
It swims its bait
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got back intown from school and headed straight to the stillwater and ponds to get bait. Steve and i hit a section of the GMR that i have had success at. The bite was quick but missed a lot of fish. Steve had the mack daddy of all runs on a shad and when he set hook the fish sawwed through 25 pound fresh fireline. Our jaws dropped. LAter i took the first fish of the night a 2.5 pound channel on a chub. Steve then took a 5 pound flathead on a baby crappie. Things were slow after that because we were out of shad and we were waiting on our bullheads to get hit. Mine finally did get hit and it was a brute of a little flathead, it was maybe a foot and a half long very health and he weighed 12 pounds. i later took another small channel. it was a good night. and heres a couple other pics of fishing trips this year.

·
Cats are where it's at!
1,497 Posts
Way to get after them.

IMHO superbraids inspire more confidence in fishermen than they should. Small nicks in the lines weaken it greatly. If you know what your drag was set at then you understand that there was less stress on the line than 25 pounds.

The Dog always seems to get some fish going though!

·
The Catfishing God
234 Posts
I have been fishing with braided line for quit a few years and I know how they can fray and weaken over time. this line brand knew. maybe in the water once. this run was one of the hardest runs I have ever seen and I didn't even feel the fish on when the line snapped. I prefer mono over fire line but I had fire line on the reel ever since I bought it so I just keep putting fire line on it. I can't waint until me and Nate hit the river again. we will have more shad and thet fish that snapped my line..... It will be time for round two"ding ding" lets get ready to rumble

·
Registered
894 Posts
it was nice meeting u guys down at the spot, and ill atest that fire line was a a razor clean cut, u guys do any good after we left or did we take the luck with us.

brandon aka bassattacker

·
CJ Cat Attack Pack
1,802 Posts
Very possible that it was a large Gar, they will burn a clicker and when you lean into them the line gets cut, those razor teeth of there's will do a number on any type of line, nice fish, shoulder must be doing better Nate, glad to see you out chasing the big ones again.............Doc

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
certain sections of the GMR have those big flat "fossil rocks" in the main channel that are very sharp on the edges. quite possible your line got around one of those and it got cut. i used a "braid" for one year and beleive me it couldnt hold up to those rocks. those rocks are like razors, especially if you get a big fish on the end:( . BTW, no Gar this far north on the GMR:)

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
I'm another person who fishes the GMR & refuses to use braid. The GMR is a braid buster, mono buster as far as that goes. If your fishing rocky areas like that one that who guys fish and your using braid, watch out.

·
The Catfishing God
234 Posts
I have never had a problem with braided line in the river, this was my first "bad" expierience. that could have happened if I had mono on so I will give that one to the fish and get ready for another go round.

·
It swims its bait
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this section of river we fished doesnt have a alot of rocks, unlike the other sections i have been known to fish dink, It is a possibilty it was a sharp rock but i have fished this section with briad for a couple years now and have been fine

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Hmm, since it is one of the states major polluted trashed up rivers, it could have been rebar, scrap metal, broken glass, old cars or a shopping cart that broke the line....:p
Of course if your like me your brain "swears" it actually pulled back before it broke....

Get him next time!!

Salmonid

1 - 14 of 14 Posts