Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I headed to GLSM Wednesday for one last trip before he and I return to school, me to the front of the classroom and he to the 3rd grade. Oh we'll get out, but a summer goofing off together across 3 states (KY, OH, and MI) came to an end. He chose GLSM where we had our best tournament finish this year (3rd) and his first ever check. A bit shy of 50 when we launched in an empty parking lot at Freedom Outdoors.

The bite was slow over in Church camp and the sulphur/propane odor gave the poor kid a headache within an hour. We reverted to the 2 presentations that worked best a month ago in the tournament and wound up with enough to cull just a bit by the days end, with one nice fish. Saw 2 sailboats and one bass boat the whole day and just had a fun time together.

Couldn't find a scale a Freedom Outdoors, mine was lost, and she well exceeded the 18" line on my Golden Rule. I did not have a net handy but my son quickly dove into the front hatch extended the handle and scooped her up like the pro he's become. My only wish was that the fish was on his line not mine. Biggest fish I weighed in this year was 3.8 and pretty certain this one was much bigger, but who knows, just a nice fish to share with my son.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Well done! Don't pack it in yet......lots of good fishing days to come on those off days that creep into school schedules. Nice girth on the big one.....looks 4+ lbs to me.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh don't get me wrong guys I aint packing in fishing for the year..........no no no, but during the summer I don't work, so he and I can go anywhere anyday of the week. We have to join the weekend crowd like normal people who work normal jobs once I am back to work so wednesday was simply the last of our spoiled goof off days. .

Like I said I wanted him to catch that fish, so last night when we were wading the GMR together I pointed out a spot under a tree and told him to carefully throw his crawdad under it towards the bank. He said "Dad aren't you gonna fish?" I told him I wanted him to have first shot at the spot and he wrangled a backhanded, side-armed pitch dead on the money where a beautiful 18" smally screamed down river almost taking him and his rod along, but he wrestled the beautiful beast to the bank and I told him "Now you know why I wanted YOU to have the first cast!" Pics forthcoming......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts