Glock accuracy

Discussion in 'Guns and Ammo' started by yakfish, Jan 22, 2008.

1. I recently bought a Glock 23c in .40 cal. so far I have put about 150 rounds through it and I can't seem to hit anything. I have mostly been shooting from about 10-15 yards and I can't get any kind of group. I can put this gun down and pick up something else and get groups all day. I'm not sure if it is me, the ammo or the gun. do these gun have a certian break in period before they are accurate? each time I have had it out I made sure to clean it well when I was finished.

I don't know what else to do. I bought it because Glocks have a reputation of being well built and very reliable. Any help wil be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. sporty

sporty OGF Team - Charter Member

Are those 150 rounds all the same ammo? You might try different brands/loads until you find out what she likes.

3. I agree and maybe you just need to get a little more comfortable with the gun.

4. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

i get 3-4" groups at 20yds with my g19

5. Same here with my G27. Just keep at it and as stated before, keep looking for the right ammo. I have had various Glocks thru the years with no problems. Good luck and keep us updated.

6. I have been using winchester ammo maybe thats all it is I will try something else. I don't think its that I'm not comfortable with the gun because I can pick somone else's gun that I have never shot before and get decent groups. Maybe ammo is my problem. do you have any suugestions as to what brand works best for your glock?
    Thanks

7. I'd be willing to bet it's more you than the gun. Have someone watch you who is knowledgeable and have them check your grip as well. The gun also may not fit your hand well. Maybe too small?? A different ammo may help but practice will improve your groups the most.

8. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

i own 3 glocks, 23(my baby:p ), 27 and 35, all .40cals and i get my best grouping/performance with the winchester white box 180 grain FMJ. ive shot some competitions with the G35 and all i shot was the winchester. hits very hard down range and lays down the big steel plates with single hits. there all i shoot thru the glocks, even have them in my carry weapon. i cant remember ever having any problems at all with this ammo, i get it at the gun show by the case. 150 rounds wont even warm mine up. keep shooting, shooting, shooting, the groups will come.

you know to shoot ONLY jacketed ammo thru the glock. lead solids will foul up the barrel to danger levels.

9. I have g 17,34,35,and new 21sf all shoot really good on win. white box.
    alot of new glock shooters have trouble with glocks trigger at first. not grouping or low and left groups have heard that cor-bon match ammo is really good thru a glock but at double the price of reg ammo, just buy w.w.box and practice. after you shoot 1st shot do not let out compleatly on the trigger. just let out until it resets(it will click) and then press. this gets rid of alot of triger travel might help groups

10. tubuzz2

tubuzz2 1700 Lund Red and tan

Have you shot a Glock befor or another weapon with the trigger similar to a glock? Some people have problems with glocks tigger is the extra lever in the middle of the trigger. I know I had problems with a XD by Springfield (simular tigger setup). You just might need for pratice. Also make sure you are not regripping the gun each time you fire it, that will affect your grouping.

11. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I've never had any problems shooting any kind of ammo out of my 17C.

In all the years I've owned it, I've never had stovepipe, or jam of any kind.

It's also the most accurate pistol I have ever owned.

12. i agree with het - own about 8 pistols and my glock 17 is my favorite, most accurate on just about any ammo. 17 round clips and night sights, love it

13. I have a glock 17 which I can't hit a house with ,which makes me think that is the reason for the 17 round clip maybe just maybe you might nick what you are shooting at . I gave it to my son he can't hit anything with it either .

14. There is a lot you can do. One is practice dry firing the gun (obviously check and recheck to make sure empty). One of the best things you can do is replace the trigger spring with a lighter one. Best to take to dealer to do this but it should be fairly cheap 20 - 30 dollars. It will take a while to get use to the double action style trigger. Good luck.

15. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

i would not modify a trigger if you intend to carry it. as for a shooter... I would not want some "expert" trying to make me look like a "gun nut" just looking for someone to shoot, in a court of law; in case I actually have to shoot someone.

16. I couldn't disagree more!!!!! The only way that would ever come in to play is on the ammo you use. It's best to use factory loaded ammo or what your local PD uses. If that were so, Than I guess a guy carrying a .45 is more of a 'gun nut' than one that carries a 9mm?? What if your carry gun has 15 rounds vs. 6??? Does that make you a 'gun nut'???? If you have night sights than I guess that means you were 'planning' on getting robbed and shooting someone in self defense at night. As a carry gun I want it to perform flawlessly at it's best. If that takes a trigger job, or any other improvement, then I'm all for it. Out of curiosity, do you have your CCW license?? If so what is your choice of carry?

I totally agree. It establishes muscle memory which will allow you to shoot better and establish trigger control. Practice, Practice, Practice!

17. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Very well said.

18. BigV

BigV BigV

I shoot allot; I also shoot on a regular basis with a US Customs firearms instructor. One of the first mistakes shooters make when shooting a firearm with a long trigger pull is to put their finger too far into the trigger housing and pull the trigger using the index finger at or close to the first knuckle. This causes (usually) the gun to be pulled to the right and down. Do a simple exercise. Just hold your empty hand like you going to fire your weapon. Watch your index finger at the first knuckle as you simulate pulling the trigger. It will pull the gun to the right and usually low as well. Using the fatty portion of your index finger halfway between the tip of your finger and the first knuckle is usually the best (sweet) spot. Some great suggestions have already been posted. Dry firing exercises are great to create muscle memory (as stated before MAKE SURE YOUR WEOPON IS NOT LOADED FIRST), also having someone knowledgeable in shooting watch you is a good idea as well. I would doubt that ammo selection has much to do with it, as once you dial in your sights the ammo you use will only have a small effect of shot placement at such a close range. Also try shooting at around 10 to 12 feet (that’s how close a self defense situation will most likely be) and see if you shot placement improves. I don’t profess to be an expert by any means, but perhaps some of these suggestions will help.

19. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

if it is in fact a trigger pull problem, there is a drop-in product called "3.5 pound connector" it's a small piece of steel that reduces the amount of trigger pull to 3.5 pounds. this will reduce to amount of muzzle movement when pulling the trigger. it is very easy to install and cost about $25.00

be warned, if you install this product you will have a very light trigger and will need to get used to it. i have had doubles go off when i did not intend to do so. i installed them in 2 of my glocks. i think it does help in accuracy.

you can get them at these sites

www.bluepress.com

www.magills.com

20. If you want to go with a new drop in trigger group Glockmeister.com sells a "stock competion trigger package" ($62) that is nothing more the a polised up trigger group with the 3.5 conector just got mine for my new G21SF and its nice, not to light not to heavy, just right:D