Gill's, how many is too many?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by TightLine, Jul 13, 2008.

1. TightLine

TightLine Member

I was wondering if there is a good way to tell if a pond has too many gills or when it can be certified "overrun".
    Our pond in back is loaded, always has been but this year seems to be allot more. They are finishing spawn now and the beds are two to three deep for about 60 yds. down one side. The pond is maybe 150 yds long and 12 to 25 yds wide in places.
    I've seen other posts in the past but can't remember who and when but they were very knowledgeable about pond management.
    Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

2. post this in the pond management section. Lots of knowledge there.

3. I'm no biologist, but pond gills have constituted probably 90% of my fishing for over 50 years. I treat all the ponds I fish the same way, & they all yield really nice sized gills.
    Questions I have are..
    -What size gills are you seeing/catching?
    -What other fish species are in the pond (are the sizes large or small)?

I am a HUGE believer in "selected harvest"..that is, releasing ALL big fish of a species. That being said, if most gills seem to be small...6" & under, then you probably need to hit them HARD & not release ANY gills for the rest of this summer. The other thing I do is release ALL bass. Anymore, I only keep gills a couple times a year, & then only gills under 8" in limited numbers for eating. The only proof I can offer of my theories working are the results I am seeing in the ponds I fish...larger gills each year & the 3 ponds I regularly fish EACH yield Fish Ohio (9") gills literally every trip out.
    Mike

4. turkeymikey

turkeymikey turkeymikey

I am probably going to get beat up for what I am going to say but, you really shouln't throw any bluegil except the nicer males. I don't remember the size as to which a bass will eat but it is a lot smaller than you think. You will never catch the all and there will always be enough to feed the bass or catfish. All they really do is to eat food that your better fish will eat. So, what I am saying is to throw only the big males back.

5. so after the spawn, when they are no longer spawning i should say,. how do you tell the males from females?

6. my parents own a small 1/2 acre pond stocked with Lm bass and blue gills. Usually try to take 100-150 6-8 inch gills per year for cleaning. We also take another 10-15 LM bass around 12-14 inches in size.

Seems to let the bass get bigger (I've pull more large bass this year than any other year previous), and the blue gills are still slamming every year.

you should really consult a Jones Fishery guy. He'll tell you exactly how many fish to take from your pond to keep it balanced and healthy.

7. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Fishman is very knowledgeable, I think he works at a hatchery. It sounds like it may be a bit overrun though!

8. TightLine

TightLine Member

Thanks for all of your input!
    Ohio Tuber here are the answers to your questions
    -What size gills are you seeing/catching? from very small to maybe 8"
    -What other fish species are in the pond (are the sizes large or small)?
    A few Channels and LM not very many of each but a few which are very good sized.

We had a big fish kill four summers ago really wiped out allot of the LM. Our pond I've learned is one of the worst shaped ponds you can have, long and narrow and V's in. (No I din't build it and can't modify as it's on 4 other neighbors property as well)
    All it takes is a few weeks of oppressive heat, little wind or rain then have a big storm come in and turn the water over real fast. That's what happened.
    We did add a fountain which has seemed to help circulate the water better.
    BTW we don't keep anything from the pond, It's used for practice and for the kids.

BIg Joshy you are absolutly correct and I am currently removing my head from an orifice which I shall leave unnamed at this point!

Thanks Again!