close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gigging Frogs...

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by TIGHTLINER, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Myself and my Dad went out gigging frogs at a couple farm ponds. We probably spotted about 100 frogs, but most of them were small so we opted not to take them. We only ended up taking 8 frogs. Three Green frogs and 5 Bullfrogs.(I took 3 and my dad took 5.) All in all it was a great time and I can't wait to head out to some public waters and give it a try. ~07/09/04

2. Here's a picture of the frogs...

Attached Files:

3. Nice job. I have not been out yet this year but hoping too in the next few weeks.

4. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

What kind of gig do you use? All I can find are the cheap K-mart gig heads with hardly any barb. I've heard of guys making their own by straightening out a very large treble hook or snagging hook, probably with heat to keep from breaking them.

5. Been out 2 times got 35 good sized frogs.I have 2 of the Kmart gigs,first one did not last the first 15 frogs & broke.I flattened the ends of 3 16 penny nails welded them back on the handle works great!Took the other gig welded a 16 p nail across the gig it now also works great.I need to find more places to go.

6. You can find the wider gigs online. Just punch in what you want to find. We have been gigging since I could walk in waders and my Grandpa had these blue gigs with five tines. They are just the right weight and thickness. We file the tips down right before we go out, and it's hammer time. If you need help finding a good gig pm me.

7. bgpark1

bgpark1 Catching and Releasing

I love froggin.... in slow moving streams about waist deep... those pics are of small ones..... as far as a gig.... i use an all out fish gig..... does a great job and after wasting a ton on little kmart ones i decided to go all out.... have fun.