close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Giggin' up some fun...

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by 9Left, Jun 18, 2017.

1. 9Left

9Left

Well, the river is still a bit ugly in my opinion, but some river magicians out there may say different ( check out SMB's latest post in his thread titled " warning)... anyway.... I was aching to get outdoors, and with froggy season just opening, it was a no brainer. I took Catmangler to the deep dark swamps of Ohio last night to spear some tasty treats. Erik was a bit of a newb on gigging so I let him have some target practice on the first few ribbits of the night... IMG_4428.JPG

He caught on pretty quick and we started filling the bucket... IMG_4431.JPG

We gigged for 4 hours, totaling about 24 frogs while listening to the sweet sounds of swamp things and enjoyed the absolute fireworks display put on by the millions of lightning bugs.
    IMG_4430.JPG

Tight lines fellas....... and...
    Happy Fathers Day!!!

2. Ant

Ant

I havent went giging in years.Loads of fun.And good eats.

9Left likes this.

3. Nice job. ! Enjoy your dinner, yum !
    I was out on the river friday nite and heard quit a few bellowing, they had me thinking about deep fried legs.
    Good luck and Good Fishing.

sherman51 and 9Left like this.
  4. BuzzBait Brad

BuzzBait Brad River Angler

I have a buddy that keeps asking me to go gigging but I can never follow through with my schedule. Hopefully soon because it looks like a lot of fun.

9Left likes this.
  5. Been a very long time since I've had frog legs. You boys enjoy that is some good eats!!!!!!!!

I would have liked to see the firework show myself it's amazing when you're deep in the water in the middle of nowhere the lightning bug show is outstanding.

9Left likes this.
  6. fishin.accomplished

fishin.accomplished just regular member

Mmmmmm. Kids these days don't know what they are missing....

7. Cat Mangler

Cat Mangler Pirateer

Tons of fun Brad, just keep your mouth shut from all the bugs. Lol

The legs went well with my father's day feast of flathead, walleye frogs legs and chicken fingers for the non-fish eaters.
    [​IMG]

8. IMG_5194.JPG Was a lot of fun and good eating! Seeing all the lightning bugs and hearing all the frogs was crazy. My wife and kid are hooked on it and can't wait to go again!

9Left, sherman51, garhtr and 2 others like this.
  9. Flannel_Carp

Flannel_Carp The Flan With A Plan

Never had them but have heard they taste great. Looks like a good haul there!

9Left likes this.
  10. ML1187

ML1187 Bucks, Smallies, Flatties & Kayaks

Sure does look like fun and tasty eating fellas !

11. back in my younger days we used a 22 rifle to get our frog legs. just shoot them in the head and scoop them up. nothing like eating a big batch of fresh legs. you guys got some fine eating there.
    sherman

12. I may be wrong but I think it is still legal to shoot them in KY ?? Anyone know for sure ?

sherman51 likes this.
  13. 9Left

9Left

not sure about KY... but not legal here, thats for sure

sherman51 likes this.
  14. I think you can in KY but if I'm not mistaking, you need or at one time needed a valid Hunting license.
    Yea, very illegal in Ohio.
    My father and I always used our flyrods to catch frogs. He tied a special dragonfly imatation with a double hook that rode up (if you turned the fly over correctly) and wouldn't catch in the moss and water weeds. We would travel to a dozen or more ponds picking out the largest frogs that were normally laying out in the moss. This thread brought back a Flood of Great memories, thanks !
    Good luck and Good Fishing !

15. yeah it sure brought back a lot of memories for me to. it has been many yrs since I hunted frogs with a 22. but it was down in Tennessee on some farm ponds. I don't know if its legal to hunt them down there with a gun or not. I don't even know if it was legal back when.
    sherman

garhtr likes this.
  16. Saugeye Tom

Saugeye Tom River Pilgrim & Sojourner

Poacher:D

17. maybe, maybe not.

back then we hunted for a lot of our food. we had always just frog hunted with a 22.
    Sherman

I just googled frog hunting in Tennessee and from what I read its still legal to use a gun to hunt frogs except on certain waters. so there I wasn't poaching!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Saugeye Tom and garhtr like this.
  18. Specgrade

Specgrade Wannabe Worm Drowner

I used to get frog legs at The Shuckin' Shack, back in the 90's. Yours looks even better! Great job.

Saugeye Tom likes this.
  19. Saugeye Tom

I had a short stint as a oyster shucker there

Specgrade likes this.
  20. Saugeye Tom

lol I thought you were in ohio

sherman51 likes this.