close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Getting the Ultra Lights Ready

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by H2O Mellon, Apr 3, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Got one Ultra Light ready, I think i'm going forward w/ my ultra light tackle idea for Channels & BUllheads. I think I may hit the small creeks a couple times after work this week. Looking for 1-2 lb Channells w/ 4 lb test. Just something to pass the time and have some fun.

2. I once reeled in a 20 pound blue on 6 pound test. Now that was fun, but yea light tackle is always fun if its in a open area. If there is to many snags and timber then it isnt fun. Cant control them from going into it.

3. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

12' Long light rod, 12 lb line and landed a 32 lb. flathead once........same gear i landed a 25 lb. flathead last Oct. was a blast!

8'6" St. Croix wild river rod(light action) 6 lb line and an Okuma EB 30 baitfeeder..its my smallmouth bass combo, and a blast on 2-6 lb channel cats too.

Good luck on the ultra light hunt.

Scott

4. H2O Mellon

Thanks Scott. I'm sort of affraid to do alot w/ my normal UL gear, my favorite being a St Croix Premeir rods, so I got a couple Bass Pro Graphite Rods, this way if they break I'm out $20 comapred to $70-80 !!!!!

5. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I smell a :S ........ :D

6. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Hey Mellon, i rarely use more than 20 lb test for any of my fishing...*except when fishing the scioto river for flatheads, then its 50 lb. dacron or higher.

*6 lb test covers all the SM bass, whitebass, skipjacks, small channels, ect.
    *12 lb test is all my channel cat, carp , hybrids, big drum fishing..plus daytime flatheads on the ohio river.
    *17-20 lb is for night time ohio river for flatheads...i never use bigger than that for the ohio river because its open water...plus im normally fishing 80+yrds and need to cast far.

I gave up on UL fishing back in the day because once i figured out the smallmouth bass on my local streams and started catching avg. 17+"ers , 4lb test and UL rods didnt cut it anymore...lol.

Scott

7. H2O Mellon

I may get one 17 incher a year. But I get bunch of smaller ones. Sometimes nothing beats a relaxing day wading catching dink smallies. Now if I was catching dinks in a lake it would be a bore, but theres just something about a creek/river that makes it a good time.

Jack...... if we keep getting :S then I'm going to have to convert you to an UL creek wader. You have to say good bye to the :B but at least we'll stop getting :S and instead of lookign like this :( at the end of the night we'll look like this :)

8. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I agree with you there 100%! Just something different about it.

I like the idea of doing the ultralight thing for channels too! I may have to try it this year :)

9. H2O Mellon

I latched into a nice channel 2 years ago while UL rivr fishign, ever since then its something I've wanted to target. of corse now that I will be targeting & trying to catch them, I'm sure I'll end up being..... :S

10. i also caught a 30 pound shovelhead on a 6-9 pole with 12 pound line (my bass setup) That was fun!! my drag was just screeching zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!