Ohio Game Fishing banner

Getting the tournament boat ready

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Ken G 
#1 ·
I've been working on the new boat off and on since the first of the year but I lost all of January and part of February due to ice and snow a foot deep.

Had to work Saturday but today I worked most of the day on the boat, 32 degrees but wasn't too bad when the sun came out.

Put the flooring down on the deck Lynn likes to fish barefooted and I'll fish with socks on and that treaded floor would be tough on the toes,so put these mats down that I got off the internet, EVA foam pads that are weather and waterproof, they interlock together and have all the joints taped on the backside 3/8" thick and they are 2' X 2' each, if we tear one up just pull it and put a new one in it's place, and the fish will be nice and comfortable when we lay them down on the deck, I think I'm really gonna like them, turned out real well. Didn't want a solid color wanted to break it up some so this is what I came up with Lynn and I like purple and it looked good with the charcoal color.

After I got the floor down then I mounted and I wired in the new switch unit that will control my big livewell. The panel was plain like this from SeaArk.

Here's what it looks like today after installation, this unit is going to power just the tournament livewell, air pumps and the Akwa-Lung plus a pump out pump I have a Master switch in case I have to shut down the whole thing plus an extra switch for future stuff the whole unit has a dedicated deep cell battery.
I found out from Suzuki that my motor has a built in battery isolator and since I use a Perko switch they told me how to wire it up so if this battery gets low the engine will put a charge to it so it will monitor my starting battery and this deep cell. Cool

The countdown has started only three weeks till our first tournament and I'm going to be pushing it to get the boat ready for that tournament, still have to mount the livewell and fabricate and mount the rod rack for the boat and if the weather will stay decent I just may make it, going fishing tomorrow at CJ Brown Big Sumo Channels like to feed on the winter killed Shad so I got to chase them down,normally Larry and I don't get out till March that's when the ice comes off this year is one of the earliest. ........Doc

See less See more
#3 ·
Doc, that is pretty trick on those eva foam pads, would ahve never thought of those, my son had some for his hotwheels, not sure if they was weather proof but they was nice on the feet and sure will be nice on ya feet and for a long day or night fishing that will def be a good thing and not as hard on ya bones being its softer... looks really good, should start up your own show...

Doc's Trick My Boat...:D

#4 ·
Even the salty guys will tell you to wear something- that's where Crocs got started IMHO. Hooks love bare skin and all it takes is one step... I'll always where something. Kids will go barefoot if we're tubing but if we're fishing, it's shoes.

UFM82

3 short weeks? I'm waiting 'til April 'cuz I'm a wuss.

#6 ·
That looks great Doc, just curious how slippery they will get from laying a big cat on the floor though. How much are those a panel? I have seen where the bass guys have done some similar stuff on the front deck for standing all day.

Salmonid

#8 ·
Mark,
They have a pebble grain surface so i don't see a problem with them, I tested them out with the lab, he drooled all over them playing in the house and that is some slippery stuff.........Doc

Hey UFM, I think your pink Crocs would clash with purple flooring like that.
your killing me here Ken.

#9 ·
The color is "mauve"...

Actually the only way you would catch me in crocs is if they put them on me once I was dead. And then I would come back and haunt whomever did that to me.

UFM82

I'm offended by this wanton attack upon my character. Where's a moderator when you need one???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.