Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive been lurking around the carp forum for awhile and im very interested in getting started fishing for them. So where is a good place for a newbie to start. Maybe theres a carp vet out there that would be willing to show a new guy the ropes.

What type of rod/reel would you recommend to get started, I dont want to spend a fortune before i find out if i enjoy it.

thanks for any help

·
Fishing Fool
283 Posts
If you want something versatile, I like the long, light action spinning rod and a decent reel and 8-12lb. line. I use a 9' steelhead rod that I got at Gander Mtn. for $30, and a Abu Garcia Cardinal 101 also about $30. You can throw lots of different sizes of baits, and you can line it up or down for steelhead and crappies. The fight on light tackle is amazing.

·
Rough Fish Ambassador
829 Posts
Welcome to some of the best fighting Fish you'll ever catch. Where are you from ? We have quite a few Carp guys from all around the state & most are almost always willing to share tips & public places to catch a few Fish. You also might want to check out CARP ANGLERS GROUP.COM - this is a great site devoted to American Carp fishing, be sure to check out the Ohio Valley forum.
As far as gear Wader (below) had great advice, I have fished with the long Euro style Carp rods & they do have thair place but I still enjoy the Steelhead style rods for my everyday fishing. The only thing I would change is to look into a pair of baitrunner style spinning reels, you'll love them. Have any other questions feel free to ask or shoot me a PM - Gary

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im located in mentor about 30 min east of cleveland on the lake. From reading it seems that ladue s about the closest place that holds a decent amount of fish.

·
Rough Fish Ambassador
829 Posts
Carp Anglers Group had a fishing social at West Branch in May & we cought tons of Fish mid teens to the low 20's, With the deep water these Fish were some of the best fighters I have ever cought. Me & a friend may be heading up for another weekend in August if so I'll post an invite

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Almost a sure way into carp:

Find a spot, just about any will do...a local river or lake. Pick an area and buy a few cans of sweet corn. Throw in a can per day for a few days up until you plan to fish. This will help get the fish concentrated in that general area.

As far as tackle. I started with a 6'6" medium action spinning rod and Abu UltraCast reel with 6lb. line. Small #6 eagle claw baitholders or #6 Gamakatsu circles with a couple small split shot above.

When you arrive at your chosen spot, toss out a handful of corn. Put three kernels on the hook and cast to that area. Find some sort of rod rest and loosen your drag so the fish can take off, but no so much that a hard first run backlashes the reel.

On the take, pick up the rod and cup the spool as the fish runs tightening the drag with your thumb and pointer finger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts