Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, I don't have the time I'd like to devote to fishing (which would be daily). I usually manage to make it down to the Byrd about once a week, and then usually not until 7pm (by the time I get home, get my gear, and drive the 40 minutes to get there). The last several times I've went the river hasn't been cooperating - too high, too muddy, too fast, or all three. But within the last several weeks I've managed to hit the river when it was just right, calm and clear(ish), and watched other dudes slaying the wipers and catfish while I went home empty handed. I usually fish a combination of baits - topwaters (Zara Spook), swim baits (usually a large Storm WildEye Swim Shad), shallow minnow cranks, deep cranks, spoons, twisty-tail grubs on heavy jig heads, etc. etc. I haven't been fishing the river for that many years, although early in the year I was doing fantastic. Now, not so much. I can't seem to get a lock on this late summer/early fall bite, but I've seen that others are having success.

I guess my question is, what am I doing wrong? I usually only get 2-3 hours at the river when I can get there, and I need to maximize my time. Is it just luck of the draw, or do I need to try some new rig/bait combination? This goes for wipers as well as catfish.

I'm also curious as to your favorite river reel/rod combos. Currently, I'm using an Ugly Stick with a Shakespeare reel (dunno the model) that's my go-to rig. I also have an Ugly Stick 8' Catfish rod (the white one) with an Okuma Safina reel, a Berkley Big Game rod (which I don't really care for) with an Okuma Avenger baitfeeder spinning reel (which I love), and a big 10' Bass Pro spinning rod with another Avenger reel, which I'm pretty sure is complete overkill - those are my catfishing rods. I'm thinking next year I'm going to start from scratch with at least two new rod/reel combos for wiper/bass/sauger fishing, and get rid of one of my cat rods. What are your thoughts, guys?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm no expert on the river fishing, but a good rule of thumb is when lures don't work go to live bait/natural baits. I have personally seen guys stand arm to arm with one guy catching fish and the other not. Only difference was the bait.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had some success with live bait, more so with stuff like cut bait and chicken livers for cats...it's just GETTING it is the problem. As I've said, I don't usually have much time to fish, much less catch or buy bait ahead of time. I've got some skipjack in the freezer that I'll toss in the car if I think I'll have the opportunity, but as many know, skippies don't freeze the best. Most of my experience has been with artificials, and cut/dead baits for cats...I don't really know how to fish a minnow/shad other than occasionally hooking one through the lips behind a spinner rig.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I usually catch fresh shad/shinners at the dam with my cast net and find some rock bass or green sunfish hanging out in calm water around rocks. Don't take much time to find them. If live bait is out of the question then I would suggest getting some zoom flukes and a weighted popping bobber. You don't really need the bobber if you can cast far, but it helps get your bait out there. Just cast out and jig the fluke back. I've used a weightless fluke and got fish that were busting shad on the surface or i use a jig head to get in down some and just work it back like you would a twistertail with the occasional jigging motion.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I managed to go Tuesday evening for about an hour and a half. Caught one small hybrid (about 13") and a foot-long sauger, both on a white twister jig. Saw one guy up on the wall catch a few nice hybrids. No one else was catching anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts