close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Getting Rid of Bugs Bunny

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AndroDoug, Apr 19, 2005.

1. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

I have a rabbit or few living under my shed in my back yard. They are eating my flowers and digging littles holes and depressions in the yard. ...At least I think that is what is under my shed as I have seen them in the yard and driveway. They also have tunnels dug under my wooden fence to get from yard to yard.

What is the best way to get rid of them? I'll poision or kill them if that is the best way, but I'd also like to explore the possibility of trapping them live and letting them free in the country somewhere. I'd rather not kill them unecesarily since they are not cats! ;)

Any ideas?

2. rockbass

rockbass Banned

If you have a live trap, try that! If not, then get the gun out. Ok I guess since you must live in a town or city, poison might be the way to go. I don't know though. I guess it depends on how "humane" you want to be

3. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

LOL... Call Thresher... :D

4. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Ahh yes, I forgot about that. He will help you out!

5. The problem with anything except for a live trap is that you don't know what you will be catching and it is tough to release them once they're dead.;) If you are in town I would definitely do the live trap if I could. I had groundhogs a while back wreaking havoc on my buildings at home and I went straight for the conibear traps. But take it from me other creatures venture into those traps as well.:eek:

6. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

7. crankus_maximus

Seriously, the live trap thing may work. It's not likely though unless you get a few of them. Try placing them at the exact opening of the entrance tunnels and see what you get. My grandpa used to get all kinds of surprises in his chipmunk trap. A live trap.

You know, technically it is illegal to release/reintroduce an animal into the wild. I guess that's a whole other debate.

Thresher - you think your cats can help out? I seen a local stray make quick work of a bunny in our backyard last summer. I didn't know what to shoot first. Just kidding.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Go find some Ferrell Cats & turn them loose in your back yard. They will take care of the bunnies. ;)

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Thats right! Actually I was just trying to make light of the situation, figured it was funny now that we all ame it out of the other thread alive.

10. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

If you know where they're living, try using moth balls first. fill an old sock or fabric bag or onion bag...(get the idea) with 1/3 to 1/2 box of moth balls and put it where you think they live. They won't hang around long and nothing else will either :D

Also works great on skunks and coons...not on cats though :(

11. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Thanks for that Idea lmnop! I will keep that in if I have problems

Yeah I kind of figured it would be hard to bait a live trap for a rabbit, but never know I guess. May just get another creature in there that may not be so pleasant :(

12. I lost a bunch of tomato plants to rabbits and was about to give up gardening when someone suggested snakes. Now every time I plant my garden, I throw in a few old bungy cords, washing machine hoses ... anything that they might think is a snake. Maybe it's stupid, but I haven't lost a tomato plant in five years since I started doing this.

13. crankus_maximus

Brilliant! Genious!

(Guiness commercial)

14. The first thing you do is get a gun, then learn to shoot it. Just kidding! Harmless traps are readily available. Just ask someone.

15. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I would be causious with poison. You might inadvertantly poison a neighbors dog with a secondary kill. The poisoned rabbit might run thru the fence & be caught & consumed by their pet. That being said, most over the counter rodent killer won't kill a dog, vitimin E is the antidote and that's fortified into dogfood. Also why you don't want to leave dogfood out in a home where you are setting out decon or a similar product for mice/rats. (Former pest control training coming out). The dose fatal to a rodent is not fatal to a dog.
    So, if you do go the poison route, do use an over the counter product, not some left over strictnine someone will find for you......
    Snakes & mothballs sounds like a good idea, maybe even some hardware cloth to block the holes to prevent access.

16. I have doubts it is a rabbit a hole would suggest a groundhog to me... Rabbits don't dig holes they take over un-used ones...
    How about a photo of the hole your talking about?
    I'd set a trap by tying a cat down with lettuce around its neck and a HUGE boulder tied to a string over the rabbits head (just what Mr. Fudd would do).. When the lettuce was chewed on then SMASH problem solved... May as well take care of two things with one stone eh?
    But what if the cat had a collar??? hmnmmnn
    awww forget that suggestion then...

17. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Pull your truck around back, attach a hose to the exhaust and run the other end of it under the shed. Let it run for a couple of hours. They will die peacefully in their sleep!

18. I wondered the about the same thing on whether or not it is a rabbit that is giving you problems because as Clyde said they don't dig their own holes bu rather take up refuge in an existing hole. If it is rabbits then you may have very likely had groundhogs at one time.

When I re-read your original post now I am even more doubtful that it is a rabbit. It sounds like it could even be gophers or chimpmunks. If it were groundhogs their holes are pretty large with a lot of dirt pulled up out. The small holes and depressions in the lawn sound more like a gopher or chimpmunk. Regardless of which it is, they would all be dead meat in my lawn.;)

19. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Mole/gopher gas. I got some gas cartridges from a hardware store (over the counter) that you light & poke down a hole. That might get it out, whatever it is.