Getting Ready!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mrjbigfoot, Feb 25, 2009.

1. mrjbigfoot

mrjbigfoot Mike

Leave for South Florida on March 20th! Going to be doing some Shark fishing!

Getting ready for the Florida trip!

[​IMG]

9/0 Daiwa w/100lb test mono on a custom 7.5’ Shark rod w/roller bearing guides
    6/0 Penn w/80lb mono on a Guide Series 6’ heavy boat rod w/roller bearing guides
    4/0 Penn w/60lb mono on an Ugly Stick heavy 7’ mackerel rod
    Penn GTI320 w/60lb mono on a 12’ Surf rod
    Penn 310 w/60lb mono on a 7’ heavy boat rod
    Ryobi w/50lb mono on a 7.5’ heavy boat rod
    Abu 6500 C-3 w/65lb braid tipped w/50lb mono on a 7.5’ Ugly Stick
    Abu 6500 C-3 w/65lb braid on a 10’ heavy Berkly lighted glow rod

[​IMG]

2 10’ Spin/Surf rods w/65lb braid
    9’ Spin/Surf rod w/30lb mono
    8’ Spin rod w/20lb mono
    6’ Ultra light spin w/6lb mono (for bait)

More bait catching rods!

[​IMG]

150lb steel cable shark & mackerel leaders w/up to 12/0 hooks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And, ya gotta have a nice wagon for getting your stuff out to the end of a 1,000 foot pier or onto the beach!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

;)

2. Nice setup! You can never have too big of hooks and leaders on those sharks. Good luck on your trip.

3. Looks like you have done that once or twice before. Even have the cart all setup. It was amazing to me when I was down there last year all the carts and gear people have setup. Rod holders on their trucks and what not.

I will be down there in June, fishing from piers and what not. Also going out for a day of shark and tarpon fishing.

Good luck down there and I hope you catch a monster!!!!

4. mrjbigfoot

mrjbigfoot Mike

We leave March 20th & we'll be down in the Charlotte harbor area and fishing mainly off Sharkey's pier in South Venice, the Jetties/keys around Venice and further South down to Bonita Springs where the F-I-L bought a house this past year!

5. We will be staying in St. Petes /Tampa area. My friend has a condo there. We will be fishing a lot of the Skyway Bridge/Pier...its a mile and a half long on one side and 3/4 of a mile long on the other side. They let you drive out there though, otherwise I would have a cart made up like yours.

6. mrjbigfoot

mrjbigfoot Mike

I know where that's at, we talked about running up there to fish last year when the Gulf got so dang rough for a couple days. We had a plane crash into the gulf about a half mile out off of Sharkey's pier while we were fishing there last year & the older guy flying it died. The Search & Rescue teams came out, took over the pier and my son ended up on the TV news for being a witness. I was busy packing up equipment!

7. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Good luck! Going to try for and cobia or anything? I'm used to fishing N.C. during the summer with the infamous 'closepin king rig'. I've tried it in florida, and people were intrugued by it. Never had anything hit it though.

8. I have wanted to catch a Cobia as well- very delicious..hahaha the locals would go crazy when they saw one, I saw a few caught though. I also want to hook up with a King this year.

9. mrjbigfoot

mrjbigfoot Mike

I know the clothespin mackeral rigs well and have a ready suppy of clothespins rigged to leaders in my tackle box but we use a sort of inverted version down on the gulf where you clip the snap swivel onto the front of your 6 to 12 foot steel cable leader and then attach the clothespin to one or two big ballons. If you have a nice wind out of the East and an outgoing tide and/or an outgoing tidal current at the jetties, you let out line & let the biodegradeable balloons carry your bait way further out into the gulf then give your line a nice crisp tug to release the balloons and let you bait sink to the bottom! I watched a guy catch a 400+ lb Goliath Grouper off the end of Sharkey's using that exact method and I've hooked several sharks doing the same. We also fish off the beach with friends where they use their kayaks to run the baits out into the rifts between the sandbars where the bigger sharks like to hang out! ;)

10. Sounds like you are going to have a great time, be sure to post some photos when you get back

11. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Man, i'm jealous! What do you mean to the front of the steel leader? Like where it ties onto the normal line?