Getting My Sled In The Truck

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by hawgjam, Dec 10, 2008.

1. hawgjam

hawgjam smell my finger

My back isn't what it use to be and my ice fishing tent is WAY heavy. When I fish alone it's a problem for me to get it in and out of my truck bed by myself. Even if I unloaded all of the gear from the sled, it would still be terrible for my back to just try and lift it. A couple of years ago I started carrying a set of ramps that normally get used to load the quad. I can slide the sled up the ramps without lifting too much weight but it can be a rather cumbersome ritual after a long day of fishing. Finding a flat enough area to park the truck always seems to be an issue too. What do you guys do?

2. I dont have that problem to contend with but I have an idea. If you could somehow rig a come along or the crank off a boat trailer to pull the sled up the ramp it would do most of the work for you. Just something that came to mind as I read your post.

3. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

what if you mounted a boat trailer crank wench on a 2x4 across the front of the bed?

4. I would suggest either a wintch or a small trailer. Either that or get a lighter sled.

5. ...yonderfishin...You beat me to the punch...I was thinking about hooking a pully to the middle of the front of his bed...then hooking the front of his sled ...They say it's easier to pull a chain than to push it...How much does this sled weigh ...There are OGF members out here with engineering knowledge that can help you...
    P.S. The winch idea sounds good...C.L....

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  6. I used a cheap electric winch .bolted a plate and eye bolt to the bed,,I hooked winch between eye bolt and the hitch on the snowmobile and pulled it in backwards,as far as I could,,,,worked for me I had fold up ramps...

7. ...Hay hawgjam...Haven't heard from you as to if you came up with any system to get your sled on the truck...The ice season is right around the corner...Take care of the back ...Mine is not that great anymore....Need all the help I can get...GOOD ICE FISHING...C.L...

8. hawgjam

hawgjam smell my finger

you know, i started that thread because i've been laying around the house for the last few weeks messed up on pain killers and determined that my back wont prevent me from doing what i want...ice fish. thanks to all for your suggestions...they inspired me to do something about my dilemma.

what i did is put a eye bolt in the center of my cross over tool box. to that i can hook a "block and tackle" or leverage type pulley (really unsure of what to call it) that i got at harbor freight to it. this way I can pull the sled up the ramps while standing behind it and guiding it. tested it in the driveway last weekend and i think it'll do although it may still be a problem on really unlevel ground. seems like a lot to go through to put the tent in the truck, but it doesn't hurt and i don't have to lift...plus, it looks as though i wont have to unload all the gear from the tent. now i just need to get some lighter ramps.

9. ...Hawgjam...Realy glad to hear you got a solution...That was my first thought an eyebolt in the middle of the front of the bed and a come-a-long or pully system The boat winch was a good idea also ..but a lot of extra work rigging it...Well the best of luck to you...Have a nice holiday...C.L...

10. Any fellow icer surely woulnt turn you dowin if you ask them to give you a hand.

11. i agree with John....icers are some of the friendliest group of guys you will find!!! you never hear us bicker like those guys in the steelhead and flyfishing forums!!! those dudes can be outright a$$ es about "their"spot and/or "their" technique...i have my right arm in a sling from surgery and i know that if i go alone that guys will help me get set-up and assist in punching some holes!!

12. I know how you feel b/c my ice fishing this past winter was limited to only 2 days due to surgery also. Since I only ice fish, I felt the "Pain" clear down to my bones in not being able to drill holes and pull some tuggers through the ice.

Best wishes in your recuperation.