Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put fresh Solar green Trilene 30# test line on the reels that I use when fishing out of my boat. I will be also putting fresh line on the reels that I use for bank fishing. Whenever the temperatures get above 50 degrees I intend on painting of my rod tips. So I can detect soft bites easier.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Don't forget to pull them apart and grease! I left that long overdue a few years back and what should have been 30 minutes per reel turned into a week long adventure of buying new drag washers and such. I now pull all my bait casters apart every 2 years and do a full grease/oil. Worm gear, drag washers, bearings, etc. Spinning reels get it every year.

·
Banned
553 Posts
I put fresh Solar green Trilene 30# test line on the reels that I use when fishing out of my boat. I will be also putting fresh line on the reels that I use for bank fishing. Whenever the temperatures get above 50 degrees I intend on painting of my rod tips. So I can detect soft bites easier.
Here is a handy trick a fishing buddy taught me,,
Not paint, White pipe thread tape. Bit of a learning curve to get it on correctly but it stands out and does not harm or permanently deface your rods.

If it gets dirty, just pull it off and replace. And it's cheap, $2 at harbor freight will buy years of supply.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Heres a BIG TIP for ya. I modify my reels to be HOT CASTERS, but the all around performance can be amazing with little time and effort. Most important is keep your bearings in check: flush with lighter fluid and let em dry out before applying light high performance oil. And if you want AMAZING performance you have never seen out of your reels try this option to ONE of them to compare to the others: get yourself some jewelers rougue the "crimson/burgandy" color and use a dremmel and the cotton polishing wheels one size of a dime and the other size of a quarter. A dremmel polishing kit is a good start and clean the parts first before polishing. I polish all the moving parts of my reels and the results are AMAZING. I fish the ohio river as well as lakes. I have consistantly spooled ALL of my reels on a SINGLE cast up to 475feet. The distance is there if you are capable but the effects of the polishing creates a smoother/more enjoyable fishing experience even if you dont take it as far as I have. For a good experiment, start by polishing the spool shaft tips, worm gear housing, spool edges. Think of friction and where you can polish up a part that causes friction in your reel. Every piece you polish reduces that much more friction in your reel. And dont be aftraid of damaging the parts by polishing, the rougue does not remove enough material to damage the parts. Oh, polish the INSIDE of your brass pinion gear. Happy fishing....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Almost forgot to mention, I do this to ALL my reels BEFORE they are put into service, the manufacturers dont have time to make these kind of performance adjustments and the reels i use 200+ dollars each and right out of the box they get cleaned thouroughly and polished amongst other upgrades. I have yet to be disappointed of the effects of the polishing and just how well it works for me. I test each reel by making sure I can cast ALL the line off of it on a single throw. You will see a dramatic difference in the all around performance of your reel IF you take the time to do a little polishing. I get tickled every time I use ANY of my reels that have been polished, they truly are a pleasure to fish with and there is no other reels that can come close to how well they perform.
I repolish key parts at the beginning of every season and its almost time for me to break out the dremmel soon. Glad to hear you like to maintain your reels, but you are missing out if you choose not to try something truly GAME CHANGING.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts