Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my three girls to Carriage Hill in their pursuit of the "great white shark" as my youngest would call em. Was there for a little over two hours. My oldest was the first to land anything. A nice little old 12" or so lmb. Unfortunately I was about fifty yards away with my 7 yr old so didn't get to watch it go down. Seeing her huge smile was definitely worth the mad dash to get to her though! I will say that when I asked her how she liked the fight and if it jumped on her while reeling it in, she gave me big ole kool aid man styled "OH YEAH". If you notice how far she's holding the fish away from her, well that's cuz she's my only girly girl. Took a little convincing to get her to lip it.

1377365795995.jpg

Second fish brought in was by my 7 yr old. She got her first ever crappie about 7" or so. Getting her to lip it was definitely a lot easier. She didn't want to put it back, insisting of course that she could tell the little guy wanted his head petted.

1377365907007.jpg

My middle kiddo had some mixed luck. She got about 7 or 8 bites which was beating the rest of us out but couldn't manage a good hook set. Finally got one good set and fought what would've been the biggest catch of the day but got one of those infamous "broke off at the bank" scenarios. Got it to the weeds and got stuck. Despite lunging into knee deep muck after the beast, it got away.

She was a little upset that she missed her chance as we were packing up as this all went down at sunset. But after a little explaining that they are sometimes just "camera shy", and a promise of returning to exact her revenge, she cheered back up again.

One things for sure. I'm definitely beginning to understand why the "Ohio special" has been dubbed so. I've seen seven different species as of last night caught on this lure. Lmb, smb, rb, drum, blue gill, river chub, and now crappie. Had a yellow perch once but was fouled in the side of the head. Not counting since I don't know if I just bounced it off this 5" fish's head or if it happened somehow when biting. Either way. Its definitely something to use if trying to teach a newbie how to use artificial lures.

All in all, I think ive got three "hooked" little girls! Oh yeah, I snuck one in too.

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
getting kids on fish and watching the reactions is an awesome thing to witness in person. great fish, and now great memories!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
very nice. good job teaching them there's a real world that's out there beyond their phone, tv and video screen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts