close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

getting bites

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by skully, Sep 25, 2005.

1. I was fishing for carp today, I was using bread and a size 4 treble hook. I would cast out and when the carp would bite, they would take the bait then just stop, then a few seconds later take off again. The trouble im having is when I go to set the hook, no fish. Anyone know why I cant hook them?

2. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Might not be carp...probably "panfish"..they love bread.

Loose the treble hooks, no need for them, just use a simple #4 size hook and your set.

Try a carolina style set up with a 1/2 oz. or more(depending on current, if any) a swivel and about 6"-12" leader to the hook.
    Carp will normally pick up the bait and move off(fairly fast if they feel the hook)..the light bites you got could be from a lot of different species.

Other baits to try are canned sweetcorn, dough baits like wheaties or Rye Krisp crackers fished on or around the hook...again NO need for treble hooks, it does way too much damage to the carps mouth and is not needed at all..save them for lure fishing for LM bass.

Good luck,

Scott

3. River,
    The bites I was getting were strong, i dont have rod holders, i just set them on my tacklebox. The bites were almost taking my poles into the water. They would take off then just stop. Got a ton of bites, but only landed 1 20-25 pound grass carp.

4. PAYARA

PAYARA THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

a catfish by any chance?...they love bread more than carp!

5. like maybe the carp were swimming through your line.