Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been about 12 years since I've done any fishing and my six year old told me that he wanted to go fishing. So this weekend is a good time to start. The thing is i have NO idea where to go anymore. Looking to head out somewhere where i know he will enjoy it and catch a fish or two. Pretty much shore fishing since I have no access to a boat. Central Ohio preferable since I live in the clintonville area. Any suggestions?

·
Just practicing my cast
5,089 Posts
Just pick a lake out go to the bait shop and ask they will point you and your son to a spot. get some minnows and some bobber then have some fun with your son good luck

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Crazy how a chick asks for help and everyone falls over each other to offer up suggestions. This guy can't get a word out of anyone.

Go to R&R, pick up a dozen nightcrawlers and a dozen soft craws. Head over to the olentangy. Fish on the bottom. It would be best to fish a circle hook with the soft craws. When you get hit just start reeling until you feel the fish pulling.

Not only will you catch fish, but there's a good chance there will be some nice fish mixed in.

·
Who?
3,415 Posts
Crazy how a chick asks for help and everyone falls over each other to offer up suggestions. This guy can't get a word out of anyone.
And you know he's a guy how?
And you know he's "getting back into it" how?
And you know he has a kid how?

If I wanted to take a super short cut and just glean good spots from complete strangers, I'd go with a similar story.
Not saying the dude is lying, I have no idea. All I'm saying is the internet is full of BS and people pretending to be someone they are not for personal gain.
Heck, he could be Manti Te'o's girlfriend for all I know.

I'm not posting my favorite spots on a public forum, to a complete stranger, for anyone to see, just because he asks. Call me skeptical.

·
stripes and smallies
777 Posts
Anyways, I would go with what was stated, get some live bait and circle hooks and fish the tangy right around clintonville. Find some current and some rocks and there will be some fish there. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Forget shore fishing. Get the kid in the water. Even if he does not catch anything... getting wet will be the most memorable.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
And you know he's a guy how?
And you know he's "getting back into it" how?
And you know he has a kid how?

If I wanted to take a super short cut and just glean good spots from complete strangers, I'd go with a similar story.
Not saying the dude is lying, I have no idea. All I'm saying is the internet is full of BS and people pretending to be someone they are not for personal gain.
Heck, he could be Manti Te'o's girlfriend for all I know.

I'm not posting my favorite spots on a public forum, to a complete stranger, for anyone to see, just because he asks. Call me skeptical.
Well lets see...then maybe you shouldn't of even replied to the OP then.

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
I was on the trail by OSU today along the Olentangy between Dodridge and Lane. There are nice carp EVERYWHERE. If you take your boy down there and throw a small hook strung up with corn you would have a great chance of hooking up with fish...not only fish...big fish!

·
deleted
3,892 Posts
Don't pay any attention to Bubba...He didn't get to fish much this summer and is a little touchous. :D There is always Antrim. The SW corner is usually full of gills, and there is also a fishing platform at the trail entrance. The lowhead at the end of Como would be a comfortable place to take a young'un. You can park at the ball fields or on the other side behind Kohls. There are tons of rockbass, gills, dink smallies, and carp. Throw out some bobbers or cast some pink rooster tails and you should be busy.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow thanks for some of the great and not so great responses...

Here's proof that I'm not some schlub looking to steal your honey holes...

Looks like ill be trying some tangy this week to test out the waters...

·
deleted
3,892 Posts
Honestly, there are some lazybutt people on here (in addition to the thousands of lurkers) who don't want to do any work to find some place to catch trophy fish that others have spent years trying to find. I only gave you spots that would impress a 6-y-o.

There are a lot of new posters on here all the time who want to impress people and get drunk on "sharing" their spots.

We all were one of those idiots when we discovered this site. Now a few of us have to get tabbed as jerks when we suggest that you should be cautious about posting location.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Honestly, there are some lazybutt people on here (in addition to the thousands of lurkers) who don't want to do any work to find some place to catch trophy fish that others have spent years trying to find. I only gave you spots that would impress a 6-y-o.

There are a lot of new posters on here all the time who want to impress people and get drunk on "sharing" their spots.

We all were one of those idiots when we discovered this site. Now a few of us have to get tabbed as jerks when we suggest that you should be cautious about posting location.
It happened to me too

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. I'm not looking to steal any sweet spots just looking to get back into the hobby again with my son. We decided to hit Olentangy tonight with some lures that came with his kit.

1378338545072.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Attachments

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I don't recall ever reading a post from a newb asking for "secret" spots or any one suggesting that folks post their "secret" spots.

Just a lot of people looking to be pointed in the right direction.

What exactly is the intended purpose of this site if not to gain information and knowledge about fishing in Ohio? Maybe it's just to post pics of a few nice fish and get "drunk" off all the WTG's you might get.

I know myself and a few others actually enjoy helping folks learn a few things about fishing and learning a few things ourselves. Not just getting on here making self-promoting posts about a few fish we stumbled upon.

I doubt there are any of us who got to where we are as far as fishing knowledge without a little help along the way.

Hey Feiwen, if you have more questions drop me a PM. I can't say I catch fish all the time or that I get a Fish Ohio or a regular basis but I'd be glad to help.

·
USMC 1979-1983
2,283 Posts
Buckeye Lake is a good place to take a kid fishing with a good chance of catching something. Night Crawlers or chicken liver fished tight line can produce catfish and even an occasional Wiper(striped bass hybrid) Minnows under a bobber can produce crappies and maybe a saugeye. There are numerous places with public access, Liebs Island, Brooks Park, Northshore and Fairfield Beach are popular areas. Good luck wherever you end up.
Early morning or late afternoon times will increase your chances, the Mosquitos were bad last time I was there in the evening you might want to take some Off along.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya we fished off the olentangy for about an hour. Few bites but caught nothing. My son loved it. We're going to head out to a buddies pond out in pickerington on sunday. The mosquitoes were out in full force this evening....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts