close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

getting away from the steelhead crowds?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by moe1078, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Just curious, I am hoping to do a little more steelhead fishing this fall and winter. I have always fished the chagrin river in at Todd field and Daniels park. Was just wondering that if I am willing to walk a bit is it possible to get away from the shoulder to shoulder crowds at these places?

2. Dingo

Dingo

yes. Three things that can improve your chances. 1) walk. Many, but not all, are not willing to put in a decent walk to get to your starting point. 2) study. Use low water periods in the warm weather season (like now) to find small holes, many of which may not have existed last year. Those that don't study may walk past these "2x4" holes that hold a few fish. 3) timing. In recent years, I spent more time on the river on a weekday afternoon or Sunday evening than the typical "prime time" (morning). In my opinion, the shot at unspooked fish outweights getting there at first light with many others sloshing around and spooking the fish.

Also, don't overlook the lakefront during the early fall as an option to get away from the crowds. Any pier (near a river/creek or not) can provide steelies in October and early November, without the shoulder to shoulder crowds.

3. I'll see you out there this year Moe. I just moved up near the Chagrin so this will be my first full year of steelheading. I prefer to fish without a crowd too so I'm hoping to use Dingo's advice to avoid all the people (plus, since I'm a steelhead newbie I want to avoid the crowds so I'll embarass myself in front of fewer people :) ). I hope to get a chance to scout the Chagrin soon but haven't had time yet. I fished the Grand river for steelies a few times last year and with a little leg work it was easy to find a good stretch of water for yourself especially, as Dingo mentioned, on Sunday evenings (I found the fish last year but catching them was a different matter :( ).

Steve

4. steelhead1

steelhead1 Pikie Bay

I fish the Grand alot. A little walking and I am alone, Except for the fish :D

5. ..there are places that only people that are in shape should be, and there are places that are easy to access, but the walking to the better water is a long stretch! Remember respect posted property, there are some new signs around the grand this year "some from last year"! The Grand is a river to understand, and know her! shes got some greta holes ,and some great current be prepared for anything! Like any other iver when the lil tribs surge off her cliffs you better be on the right side of the river! Learn her flows, she a river that flows up to some times 10,000 cf/s, and I know some people who have admitted to me they fish it at 900! I dont even touch her untill shes 350 cf/s! I dont spin fish for steelhead, so I dont like the turbid, silty conditions like alot of people! Shes has an enormous water shed, and she had alot of fish last spring go untouched! Good luck, and wade safe I'll be the one stuck with my fly in a tree!

6. Thanks for all the help. Hope to see some of you up there this season.

7. Fishin' Coach

Fishin' Coach Wall I ETR

I am a new steelheader. Tried it for the first time last year, went 3 of 4 in 5 trips last year. I am hooked!!! I drive from around Findlay Ohio so the Vermillion is the nearest. Denny at Local bait shop helped me alot, bait tackle and even a couple of holes (N of rt2 decent #'s of fish and fishermen). Even bought "STEELHEAD GUIDE" by John Nagy and read it over the summer.

Problem-- Since I'll only get up there 4-5 times a year I don't want to spend days searching aimlessly for new water especially because I'm still not very good at reading water.

If anyone knows any good starting points, tricks ,secrets, pointers--anything to shorten the learning curve please give me a hand.
    Also do you guys think it would be worth hiring a guide? If so can you recomend anyone?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies
    --Coach

jspeyer@riverdale.k12.oh.us

8. Dingo

Dingo

No guide necessary, just a trusted source that lives close to the river that you fish who can relay accurate conditions in a timely manner. Being on the river at the right time outweights where you fish, since they will be available most anywhere when the time is right. In the fall, that time when a river is coming down and clearing, but not too low and clear is prime, and the typical conditions for those "big number" days. I fish less as I get older, but catch more than in the past.