Ohio Game Fishing banner

Getting a few steelhead

12K views 63 replies 19 participants last post by  BNiemo 
#1 ·
#39 ·
#42 · (Edited)
Program remains the same so far for us so this year. All fish on 1/16oz jigs under a float, no maggots yesterday. Dark/natural colors were being favored it seemed until my Dad doubled up yesterday on a pink jig. Not really doing much other then keeping you float mended and upright. We fished from 2-4p, all fish were caught within 30 mins of each other. We have not had any success with spoons or spinners. We both made some casts with a spoon but no bites. I have never been successful casting spoons myself so I have no confidence in it even though I see people post pics of fish they caught on them 🤷‍♂️

Glad to hook a few yesterday, have had several trips out in crappy fishing conditions with no results. These fish came out of an unstocked tributary and were a welcome treat.

#54 ·
Went 3/3 today on the Rocky. Fished by myself from 11:30-2:30ish. Water is so slow and clear. 2 fish caught on stone fly jigs and one on black red crappie jig.
‘Few things I think helped me were using clear floats, 24’’ leaders of flouro and giving few jigs and pops to the baits.

big buck was 24’’ but thick and fought like a champ.

#63 ·
Good for you! Great job!
Bottomline on steelhead is there’s really not much mystery involved. Some days, you can “catch” on just about anything. There’s other days of course! This year, I’ve(personally) had more “other days” than good ones. Right now(just before they all go to bedding), you might have a banner day-which is what you seem to have had. Congrats on you first fish and more!!
(Warning-Now you’re “hooked”, but don’t be too concerned if you happen to not have that good of a day next trip!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.