Ohio Game Fishing banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Aside from the secret spot......what is the program? Curious. Floats? Straight jig? Tried any spinners or spoons?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Aside from the secret spot......what is the program? Curious. Floats? Straight jig? Tried any spinners or spoons?
Program remains the same so far for us so this year. All fish on 1/16oz jigs under a float, no maggots yesterday. Dark/natural colors were being favored it seemed until my Dad doubled up yesterday on a pink jig. Not really doing much other then keeping you float mended and upright. We fished from 2-4p, all fish were caught within 30 mins of each other. We have not had any success with spoons or spinners. We both made some casts with a spoon but no bites. I have never been successful casting spoons myself so I have no confidence in it even though I see people post pics of fish they caught on them 🤷‍♂️

Glad to hook a few yesterday, have had several trips out in crappy fishing conditions with no results. These fish came out of an unstocked tributary and were a welcome treat.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Fished the Rocky river yesterday morning for few hours. Lots of new fish in the river and they’re biting pretty good. I seen several other caught and got these 2 myself. Both mine came on dark colored jigs but heard the eggs sacs are starting to work too. This coming week should be really great so get out there if you can.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Fish very briefly yesterday morning at new hole. My float slowly got dragged under which usually indicates bottom or a snag. As I went to really in this floppy fella with on my jig. First sucker ever caught. Kinda girthy and he fought like a wet rag. Pretty neat, beats getting skunked.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Fished after work from 6-11pm. Hand tied jigs in dark colors worked then switched to glow jigs after 8pm. Was fast and furious till I left. It was really hard to leave biting fish. Lost count of how many I hooked and landed. 5am came way too fast and I'm struggling at work this morning lol.
I'll get real mad if you didn't try any of those magic jigs I gave you.... :LOL:

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've read about the bead system
THANKS very much for the details, guys,,,,, if the fresh eggs don't work, we'll be sure to try it your way.
I'll take up a bunch of hair jigs, & maggots too.

Somebody, please Explain this one,,,,
A good friend just came back from steelie fishing for 3 days, & while fishing, 2 yakers came down River. They said that they were having a ball,,,, they had caught many fish & some were close to 10#.
When asked what was working,, they showed him their rig,,,,, NO BAIT, NOT EVEN HAIR!???
They had a #10 treble on the bottom, then 2-3" of very small ID rubber tubing on the line that was holding up ONE, egg size, small fluorescent orange or red plastic BEAD. THAT'S IT. ????????????? no bait & no scents added.
That's Crazy.

SO,,,,,, If someone ever used this drifting 'system', Please reply,,, I still have a dozen questions!

LIKE,,,,, if the fish is keying on the bead, how the heck is it getting the treble in it's mouth, when it's 2-3" away??
(I visualize a snagged fish, or constantly snagging the bottom)

I told my friend to TAKE A PICTURE, if he ever sees them again.
I can't believe it
I've heard of the bead system and read about it. Some call it flossing . The fish takes the bead and the line slide through their mouth and hook gets the side of mouth.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I've read about the bead system

I've heard of the bead system and read about it. Some call it flossing . The fish takes the bead and the line slide through their mouth and hook gets the side of mouth.
Some do call it flossing and some will say that using a bead is essentially flossing. Especially if you're really dragging that bead through spawning fish, it is likely that can happen. However, I have in my own personal experience, seen a fish chase down a bead. It's pretty cool. If you can properly drift the presentation to barely tick bottom it should be a rather efficient and ethical way to hook into a fish legally.

·
Wishin' I was fishin'
86 Posts
Went out yesterday for my first time chasing steelhead with Alley Cat guide service, saw a lot of fish and had alot of short bites, but I did finally hook up. Big chrome fella instantly started acrobatics and ended up shaking the hook, but what a blast! Great guide and an amazing day, I do believe I now have the steelhead fever!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Went 3/3 today on the Rocky. Fished by myself from 11:30-2:30ish. Water is so slow and clear. 2 fish caught on stone fly jigs and one on black red crappie jig.
‘Few things I think helped me were using clear floats, 24’’ leaders of flouro and giving few jigs and pops to the baits.

big buck was 24’’ but thick and fought like a champ.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts