Ohio Game Fishing banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I went yesterday for 2 hrs in morning with no luck. No signs of fish. Heard some turkeys chatting and gobbling at least. Trying agin Thursday

·
OhioPro Lure
477 Posts
I have heard of the bead fishing deal but never have tried it never got the concept of having the hook away from the bait but it must work. I watched some videos on it but still think if a fish just comes up and grabs the bait lightly and does not suck it in completely you would snag him on the outside somewhere. I could be totally wrong on this thinking just what goes through my mind.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
still think if a fish just comes up and grabs the bait lightly and does not suck it in completely you would snag him on the outside somewhere.
Your logic makes sense. I have thought the same. My actual experience is that the hook is always stuck on the inside of their mouth, typically in the corner. I'm sure you can run the bead against the shank and it will work. In the fly fishing realm I believe most are using yarnies which are just egg imitation flies tied directly to the hook. I don't know who made the rules on all this but I'm sticking with what works lol

·
OhioPro Lure
477 Posts
Your logic makes sense. I have thought the same. My actual experience is that the hook is always stuck on the inside of their mouth, typically in the corner. I'm sure you can run the bead against the shank and it will work. In the fly fishing realm I believe most are using yarnies which are just egg imitation flies tied directly to the hook. I don't know who made the rules on all this but I'm sticking with what works lol
Don't fix what's not broke for sure (y)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ivo from Thundermist has an outstanding You tube channel IMO...this video may be what people were talking about earlier in this thread. Check out and subscribe to his channel... he has tons of information and cool videos.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Pegging beads is by far the most common way to rig beads. First, thread your bead onto the leader and tie on your hook. Then, position the bead 1.5 – 2 inches above your hook (check your local regulations) and jam a toothpick into the bottom opening of the bead until it is tight.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Fished two hours this morning at Rocky. Caught nothing but think I missed one bite. Tried few different color tubes. Little more current but still clear and slow.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Fished two hours this morning at Rocky. Caught nothing but think I missed one bite. Tried few different color tubes. Little more current but still clear and slow.

Sometimes I think it doesn't matter you're throwing. The fish are either in a mood to eat or not. There's times where I'll fish a spot for hours with no signs of life. Then they'll turn on for 10 minutes and fish are rolling everywhere. Then they'll turn off again with no apparent rhyme or reason.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
fished for 2 hours today. Tried a variety of jigs/tube and nothing was working. Tied on a spawn sac and still no action. Tied on a pumpkin seed green jig and hooked up with 3 chromies within 30 mins. Had some gear issues with my reel and was running out of time so left for the day. What a nice afternoon on the river. 🐟

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
After about 1.5 hours of no action for any of 5 fisherman in the river, I was able to hook up and land a nice darker buck today. I Have run out of maggots but have still be having success with the jig. This guy put up a great fight and is out there swimming for someone else to catch.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Fished this afternoon, very tough cold conditions. Consist freezing of guides and line. Over the course of 1.5 the slush became so bad we couldn’t even get our jigs underwater. I think I missed one bite staring at a drake mallard lol.

·
Boat name: Reelin n Dealin
641 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Beautiful looking fish! One heck of a snow squall too.
We’re so lucky to have the fishing and hunting resources here in NEO.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts