Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
Yes tipped with maggots.

I have 2-3 Newbies that want to go up to Erie & try,,,,, I'm going to pass them your pictures! THANKS.
If possible, could you post a picture of the jig?
After all,, you have proof that it'll work. & lol,,,, 1 picture will answer a dozen questions.
( Black, Hair, 1/64, under a float, how deep,,, bobber drifting, or bouncing the bottom?)

I was going to hand them fresh egg sacks.?

Registered
The jigs in the 2nd picture , white head chartreuse body looks to me , I zoomed in then used magnifying glass

wolfenstein
Weir, I noticed you have a grub higher up, do you hook many on that? I thought about setting up like that but wonder if it's worth the extra knot in line

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I have 2-3 Newbies that want to go up to Erie & try,,,,, I'm going to pass them your pictures! THANKS.
If possible, could you post a picture of the jig?
After all,, you have proof that it'll work. & lol,,,, 1 picture will answer a dozen questions.
( Black, Hair, 1/64, under a float, how deep,,, bobber drifting, or bouncing the bottom?)

I was going to hand them fresh egg sacks.?
Here is a pic of the jigs I use. I鈥檝e been using 1/16oz in chartreuse color last week with good success. The pink one in picture is exact same just pink. I鈥檝e heard that black and white are also good. I鈥檝e caught a few on black jigs. I fished for few hrs yesterday and only got 1 steelhead. I moved down from a spot I worked pretty good with my jig and another guy caught one first cast with a spawn sac 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

I tried spawn sacs earlier In January with no success and think they work better in spring. But I am not seansoned veteran at this and only been fishing few years for Steelies. Lots of reading though.

I put my 1/16 jig under a 6.2g raven balsa float. I use 12lb clear mono to a small barrel swivel tied to 18鈥欌 fluorocarbon leader. 1 small earless split shot just under the swivel. Tip with 2 live maggots.

Locate deeper pools with current in the river, cast to 11 o鈥檆lock ,raise rod tip to get float upright and let it drift with current. Most bites occur in the bubble line. I do some occasional jigs to the bait but haven鈥檛 notice it being super influential. I lost a few hookup initially but not setting the hook hard enough. Make sure to hit them with a good one since the rod tip is so flimsy.

My one fish from yesterday. What a beauty!

Hope this info helps! Good luck out there!

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Weir, I noticed you have a grub higher up, do you hook many on that? I thought about setting up like that but wonder if it's worth the extra knot in line
yea it鈥檚 just a snelled hook with a crappie tube above the jig. But I actually just took that second hook off. I鈥檝e personally never had a fish bite the higher hook and it greatly increases your foul up potential. I may try it again when fishing spawn sacs

HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
THANKS very much for the details, guys,,,,, if the fresh eggs don't work, we'll be sure to try it your way.
I'll take up a bunch of hair jigs, & maggots too.

Somebody, please Explain this one,,,,
A good friend just came back from steelie fishing for 3 days, & while fishing, 2 yakers came down River. They said that they were having a ball,,,, they had caught many fish & some were close to 10#.
When asked what was working,, they showed him their rig,,,,, NO BAIT, NOT EVEN HAIR!???
They had a #10 treble on the bottom, then 2-3" of very small ID rubber tubing on the line that was holding up ONE, egg size, small fluorescent orange or red plastic BEAD. THAT'S IT. ????????????? no bait & no scents added.
That's Crazy.

SO,,,,,, If someone ever used this drifting 'system', Please reply,,, I still have a dozen questions!

LIKE,,,,, if the fish is keying on the bead, how the heck is it getting the treble in it's mouth, when it's 2-3" away??
(I visualize a snagged fish, or constantly snagging the bottom)

I told my friend to TAKE A PICTURE, if he ever sees them again.
I can't believe it

Registered
They said that they were having a ball,,,, they had caught many fish & some were close to 10#.
When asked what was working,, they showed him their rig,,,,, NO BAIT, NOT EVEN HAIR!???
They had a #10 treble on the bottom, then 2-3" of very small ID rubber tubing on the line that was holding up ONE, egg size, small fluorescent orange or red plastic BEAD. THAT'S IT. ????????????? no bait & no scents added.
That's Crazy.
It's pretty common to catch steelhead on acrylic or soft bodied beads. In fact, the fish in my avatar was caught on a small, single bead. But what is very "fishy" here is the treble hook. Sounds a little overkill and not very ethical but depends who you ask. In most instances, this rig consists of a bead that is pegged about 3" above a small hook. The beads range in size from 6mm to 14mm with the most common being 8mm and 10mm around here. The hook part of your story is the most odd to me as usually we're just running smaller #6, #8, or #10 single hooks. Below is a short video on the rigging.

Registered
It's pretty common to catch steelhead on acrylic or soft bodied beads. In fact, the fish in my avatar was caught on a small, single bead. But what is very "fishy" here is the treble hook. Sounds a little overkill and not very ethical but depends who you ask. In most instances, this rig consists of a bead that is pegged about 3" above a small hook. The beads range in size from 6mm to 14mm with the most common being 8mm and 10mm around here. The hook part of your story is the most odd to me as usually we're just running smaller #6, #8, or #10 single hooks. Below is a short video on the rigging.
Agreed, using a treble sounds a little extreme. I wouldn't be surprised some of those fish didn't go belly up. Trebles are hard on salmonids.

I did a fair bit of walking yesterday to get away from the crowds and found some active fish. I caught both fish on a crappie tube jig under a float.

20210118_153327.jpg

20210118_154200.jpg

Registered
This ""Bead"" system is new to me...I usually cast and drift small red jigs with twister tails, its pretty cheap if you are fishing a ""snaggy"" area [I am a shore fisherman}. Why is the hook set two to three inches from the bead.. ThanXXX

Registered
This ""Bead"" system is new to me...I usually cast and drift small red jigs with twister tails, its pretty cheap if you are fishing a ""snaggy"" area [I am a shore fisherman}. Why is the hook set two to three inches from the bead.. ThanXXX
From what I believe or hear is that the bead pegged above the hook helps with keeping the fish from inhaling the hook down to its throat. Seems kind of strange at first but works pretty well for the most part. I have never caught a fish on a bead where the hook has gotten in to deep. I think it also helps keep the presentation look a little more natural. Anyways...it works for me so that鈥檚 how I use it.

Registered
I ""youtubed"" the subject, looks like I have another method to try... I also see that there are hard and soft beads...which ones do you use the most...ThanXXX

1 - 20 of 43 Posts