Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of Sunday, July 14, 2012, Us Die-hard Icefisherman only a little over 4 months till FIRST ICE!

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
This post usually isn't till October... 2 years of less then ideal ice must have you on edge:D
This is when i actually start thinking about it too, forecast in the 90's this week, the great Spring fishing is behind us,.... Bring on the ice!
I really hope we have a good month or 2 of SOLID ice this year.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
This post usually isn't till October... 2 years of less then ideal ice must have you on edge:D
That's funny, and about what my wife said last week when I set up an old shanty that needs fixin'. Fixed all the mouse holes and put a new floor in it. I need to take it apart and have a new zipper put in it.

Pfefferkorn Awning Company, Sandusky Ohio ---- About 1960.
My bud Tommy gave me his ice gear, he said he will never use it again --- Health issues.
I'm putting that shanty back on the ice, it has been in storage for 25 years.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had a 1-man Pfefferkorn for a few years. Sold it for $25 a while back. Great, servicable old style shanty, but I upgraded to a Clam Nanook a few winters ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have other shanty's also --- Shappell, an Ice House 6000 and a DX 3000 or 4000 not sure witch one.
This one------

I just like the old ones.

Wahler
Don't count on it with the strange weather we are having anymore. Obama says it's global warming and if he says it, it has to be right ! Right ?

WRONG! :)

·
Set The Hook`
4,215 Posts
Good corner there Blue Pike ;) Cant wait to get back on the ice this year.....we take a trip to Michigan every year and we have been going further and further north.....this time we are staying in southern Michigan where we had GREAT luck last year....cannot wait!

·
2005 senior member
801 Posts
i think this year ima wait n see what happens. as in weather wise. so im taking up bow hunting to keep busy while waiting on the ice to come and visit us for a while.... still got that itch tho....Fm

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Even through the last 2 winters, SE michigan has had some very fishable ice. My first trip last winter was to Houghton right after XMas and then I fished SE MI from early January thru the middle of March this year, and that was almost every weekend during that stretch. Ice ranged from 3.5-10".

Look me up when it gets close and I might be able to get you some reports. For you guys that are looking at MI, look me up when it gets close and I might be able to get you some reports from some people in my "northern outpost".

·
fish breath
567 Posts
Everyone talks about how this weather we've been having is awesome. While I don't.totally disagree I'd rather be starring down my little hole with the sound of my heater and waiting for the tip of my rod to go tick.......tick tick......

·
Set The Hook`
4,215 Posts
Bucket I agree....a group of us go on a trip every year into michigan exploring new lakes...this year we went all the way up too presque isle....never again....stayed local and found a spot on st clair that we CRUSHED the pumpkin seeds and perch..Every trip we had our pumpkinseed limit and some good perch tossed in....were going there for our trip. Cannot wait. They had a ton of good ice this year!!! Ice cant come soon enough!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just returned from a week of backpacking in NW Pennsylvania, Allegheny National Forest/Kinzua Country/North Country Trail.

We had 3 nights in the 30's.

See Camping/Backpacking Forum for Trail Report & More Pics

Yeah... I actually did a lil soft water fishin

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
You guys ain't right. I haven't ice fished since I was in my late twenties. There is hope, you can be cured. I hope this site doesn't corrode my brain and make me want to go out and freeze my butt off.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
goatfly: Those dormant brain seeds of frigid fishing have germinated. You are doomed to the Ice Asylum.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts